Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Bug Report

Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0.2 / latest RDM build

  • Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

I know it has only just been updated through the Mac App Store today, but I thought I would feed back my findings since it appears a new version of Microsoft Remote Desktop AND RDM have been pushed out.


1. Every time you launch a new connection from RDM, a new instance of Microsoft Remote Desktop is launched. I'm pretty sure that before, the same instance would be re-used. I've just had 6 copies of MSRD open after ending the remote sessions so needed to close them all.

2. Previously when connecting to a new session MSRD would prompt for credentials in a dialog box. Now, connecting to the same servers I get sent straight to the Windows logon screen where I can pick the user to login as, and enter the password. This is directly in to the Windows login screen rather than a prompt by MSRD.

3. Is there any way to force MSRD to start minimised when launching a new session? I'd rather it wasn't visible anywhere, or self-terminated after closing a session, but I understand this is down to Microsoft.

4. When editing an RDM entry for a RDP connection, all entries have "Open in console" UNTICKED, however my Dropbox datasource should have them all ticked as this is how they were configured when created in RDM for Windows.


I hope this help. I'm just hoping the new MSRD now allows credentials to be passed through as this is the feature I miss the most having come over to the Mac platform from Windows.

Thanks,

Andy

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

doyle_am wrote:

Every time you launch a new connection from RDM, a new instance of Microsoft Remote Desktop is launched. I'm pretty sure that before, the same instance would be re-used

No, the behaviour has remained the same. We would always launch a new instance. However, this was clearly an error on our part - it is fixed for the next version. An existing instance will be reused.

doyle_am wrote:

Previously when connecting to a new session MSRD would prompt for credentials in a dialog box. Now, connecting to the same servers I get sent straight to the Windows logon screen where I can pick the user to login as, and enter the password

That’s very strange. I just tried one of my connections on both the previous and latest version of MSRDP, and I always get the dialog box. Is there something else that could have change, either with your connection settings or the server configuration?

doyle_am wrote:

Is there any way to force MSRD to start minimised when launching a new session? I'd rather it wasn't visible anywhere, or self-terminated after closing a session

MRDP won’t give us an option to do that, but we are the ones responsible for starting the process so it’s feasible that we can minimise it; or at least prevent it from stealing focus when it launches. Terminating the process would be more difficult but not impossible. I’ll add a feature request for this.

doyle_am wrote:

When editing an RDM entry for a RDP connection, all entries have "Open in console" UNTICKED, however my Dropbox datasource should have them all ticked as this is how they were configured when created in RDM for Windows.

That’s very strange. I just created a new Dropbox data source on Windows, created an RDP connection and checked ‘Open in console’ and ‘Always prompt for credentials’. Then I added the same data source on OS X, opened the connection and the boxes were checked there as well. Can you still open this data source on Windows? Can you try that, and see if they are checked there? If not, can you check them and try to open it again on OS X. It’s possible that you hit on a bug in an earlier version that is now resolved.

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Sorry - regarding the credentials box - you are correct! It seems MS changed this behaviour in the new version.

Ideally we would like to support passing credentials to the MS RDP client, however this will be large case of research on our part. The Windows client doesn't support this, but we have a workaround involving the Windows registry which obviously is a non-starter on OS X. There is no developer documentation at all for the OS X client.

It's something we are working on, but I don't have a timeline for that unfortunately.

Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

The fix for the multiple instance issue is available now (0.9.19.0). Can you try it out and let me know if it works for you?

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs