Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

ShortCut icon in Remote Desktop Manager

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

First off, LOVE your product.

Whenever I create a shortcut, there is no easy way to see that the created shortcut is in fact... a shortcut. Hows about modifying that little icon with an arrow so i can tell if its a shortcut or not. I have hundreds of servers listed, but sometimes organize certain servers as shortcuts into another Group Folder. My co workers arent as smart or good looking as I am, so they get easily confused :P

thanks!

-G

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
We try to keep the shortcut transparent but I will add an option to display a little overlay. I have added a little icon in the dashboard. This is in the version 9.0.5

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Thanks for the quick reply.

My team is currently running 9.0.3 using an SQL backend.

Would it be a bad thing to just install 9.0.5 on my pc?
edited by Innsanctum on 11/12/2013

Clock6 yrs

No, it should not be a problem. We don't have any database upgrade between those two versions.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi David.

FYI, i installed 9.0.5 and took a look at my short cuts computers.... The icons look the same as the regular icons. I was expecting them to be a little transparent or something. I tried creating a new shortcut from a server and, yup, the icons look the same.

Also, where is the icon on the dashboard? I cant find it....

Clock6 yrs

Sorry my there was a misunderstanding with transparent. I mean the concept of transparent was about not showing that's a shortcut. For the dashboard, it's the little arrow in the header bar

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

omg. im so confused.... hahaha.

Let me try being more specific.

1) I have an RDP object (lots of them)
2) I create short cuts out of those objects (lots of them)
3) The resulting short cut object looks like an original object. Is there a way, other than changing the icons, to identify them as shortcuts on the left hand panel? Like a windows icon has that little swoosh arrow on them when its a short cut.

thanks, and im sorry im confused :P

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
You will have shortcut overlay in the next updatesmile The original will also have an overlay since it's hard to determine which one is the original. Is it a problem?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

"You will have shortcut overlay in the next update" - AWESOME

When you say "overlay" do you mean something will be placed on top of an icon to show that it is a shortcut?

"The original will also have an overlay since it's hard to determine which one is the original."

Ok, you lost me on this one. If the original icon gets something placed on top of it, how will you know which objects are shortcuts and which are originals?

Clock6 yrs

Hi

The overlay is a small graphic that is put on top of an icon, just like a shortcut in windows.

As for the rest of your question....

There is but one entry, which is displayed multiple times when it has shortcuts.

All of them will have the overlay.

If ever you remove shortcuts, whenever there is only one entry left, it will lose the overlay.

its in 9.0.6 which has been released wink
edited by mcote on 11/13/2013

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Installing right this minute!!!!

(downloaded and installed)

Um..... Guys. Good job on the overlay, except for one problem. Why is the original object marked with the overlay also? How do i know, by looking at the left pane, which is the original object and which is the shortcut. Wasn't what this entire exercise was about?

What you've done is just swapped the problem. Now i dont know which is the original object..... Can't you make it so that ONLY the shortcut is the short cut? I mean imagine windows did the same thing with an .exe file and multiple shortcuts. Which one is the original .exe? which ones are the shortcuts? (without having to look at the properties of the file)....

-ginel
edited by Innsanctum on 11/14/2013

Clock6 yrs

Thats what I described in my previous post. There is but one entry, we just display it as many times as you require. Adding a special case for the "original" one would mean we would have a field to store this information.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, but David will decide if we manage that use case.

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I will add an option to specify the display you want but you have to know that the RDM shortcut are not like the Windows one. An RDM shortcut is an entry with multiple groups. We will considere the first one as the master.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Excellent! If you consider the first one as master, then the shortcuts will show as shortcuts. Bingo boys, that was the goal. Thanks again!!!!!

Clock6 yrs

Hey guys! Just saw you updated the overlay option in 9.0.7 but guess what?! I cant find it! hahaha. where did you guys put it?

Clock5 yrs

This is in File->Options | User Interface -> Tree View and the property is Shortcut overlay

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs