Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Bug Report

RDM Screen redraw issue

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

I am running 0.9.26.0 and am still receiving this error. It doesn't seem to happen when Microsoft Remote Desktop is used, just when the built-in FreeRDP is used.

Also, I typically use the undocked option rather than tabs. If I maximize, it will refresh the display and freeze there. I can then click/type something and un-maximize, and it will refresh and freeze again. I can repeat this process indefinitely, although my patience usually gives out first... I have had this happen with SBS 2003, Windows XP and Windows 7/2008 R2.

Thanks,

David

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

This issue has my full attention however I'm having a very hard time reproducing it here, on multiple machines.

What kind of display options do you have for your connections (e.g. remote desktop size, smart sizing enabled, etc)?

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I'm seeing the screen redraw issue on version 0.9.28.0. This is mainly happening on Windows 2003 R2, in terms of configuration I have Display as "Embedded (tabbed)", remote desktop size: "Default", fit embedded RDP window is selected, colors 16bits.

Clock6 yrs

Are you using any of the following:

- Remote audio redirection
- Remote audio recording redirect
- Clipboard
- Remote devices (e.g. printers, serial ports, hard drives/folders, smart cards)?

If so, is it possible to try disabling these options and seeing if you can reproduce the problem?

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hello Richard, this is what I have configured. I will go ahead and remove audio and ports but keep the Clipboard checked.

Remote audio: "Bring to this computer"
Remote audio recording: "do not record"
Clipboard: it is checked
Serial ports: it is checked
Hard drives: it is checked
redirect all disk drives: not checked
redirect home folder: not checked.

Windows key passthrough: it is checked

I'm also including the performance section below

RDM+issue%5b2%5d

RDM issue[2].jpg
Clock6 yrs

Please let me know if you still experience the issue with those revised options

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I just changed the configuration the the below but I'm still experiencing the issue on Windows 2003 R2.

Clock6 yrs

Something else to add here. After a few minutes working on the Windows 2003 R2 session with the redraw issue, I reached the point where I experienced the "freeze issue" and I had to start doing the "check for updates" just to logoff from the server.

Clock6 yrs

Hi molikop

I can't see the image you posted, did you disable the clipboard redirection?

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I have disabled clipboard redirection but I'm still seeing the redraw issue.

Clock6 yrs

I wanted to provide an extra update, I have recently connected to one of my Windows 2003 sessions and I saw that I didn't have any drawing issues on the screen, when I compare the two sessions the one with issue was configured for 16bit colors while the one working was at 32bit.
I changed the not working session from 16bit to 32bits and everything looks good now. I then went and changed the session back to 16bits colors and everything continued working. This is on version 0.9.28.0, I do want to mention that I'm still seeing RDM freezing though.

Clock6 yrs

@devolutions: Any progress?

Clock6 yrs

Hi tonvanboven

Not yet, still working on it. We will update you when we have something.

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

If you download the latest version (0.9.32.0), you will see two additional options in Preferences > General > User Interface:

"Allow tabs to be rearranged"
"Allow tabs to leave the tab bar"

If would be very helpful if you could disable (uncheck) both of these checkboxes, and let me know if you experience issues with either the remote desktop session freezing or the application failing to paint properly (as described in the OP).

Please feel free to let me know the other way as well - that is, if you *don't* see the issue anymore smile

This is not a permanent fix (I realise this is useful functionality), but I'm just trying to isolate the root cause of the issue smile

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I have tried disabling those options and the issue is still happening for me.
I'm connecting to a Windows Server 2008 R2 server. Display is embedded, size default, 16bit colour and the only option selected in display tab is fit embedded RDP Window

Clock6 yrs

Hi brownie79

Are you referring to the issue in the OP (i.e. screen not redrawing properly, can use menu items to force a redraw) or to the second issue that we seem to be seeing (embedded RDP connection freezing, but the rest of the app remains responsive)?

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi Richard,

I'm referring to the screen redraw issue where the menu forces a redraw.

Daniel

Clock6 yrs

Hello Richard,
I have updated to version 0.9.34.0 but I'm still seeing the redraw issue on Windows 2003, I'm also seeing screen freeze for the whole application, the windows key getting stocked issue came back and now I just found a new issue. If I create a brand new RDP connection from scratch it is telling me "unable to find Microsoft Remote Desktop" when trying to open the connection, if I duplicate an existing (and working) connection, there are no problems connecting. I will update the other forums too.

Regards,
Eduardo.

Clock6 yrs

Hi molikop

For the "unable to find Microsoft Remote Desktop" issue, please check this post:

http://forum.devolutions.net/topic8491-crash-when-quitting-rdp-and-saying-no.aspx#post36537

Let me know if that answers your question

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hello Richard,
thank you for getting back to me. I have replied to the other forum but in general it works following that posting.

Clock6 yrs

Hi

What is your typical workflow when you see this behaviour (the screen fails to repaint properly, and can be forced to update by selecting a menu item e.g. "Check For Updates")?

For example, do you launch the app and start some sessions and just start working in them?

Or are you interacting with the different screens of RDM (configuring connections, adding and deleting entries, etc) at the same time?

Something else that might be helpful with any of you that are experiencing this issue, would be to send me a system report via PM (you can do this by choosing "About This Mac" from the Apple menu, and then choosing "More Info" > "System Report" and choosing "Save" to generate an .spx file).

Finally, when this particular scenario occurs, please check out Activity Monitor and look for any strange behaviour; for instance, perhaps RDM or another process (like WindowServer) has a sustained higher than normal CPU usage).

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

An additional question on top of my previous post:

Is it possible that when you see this issue, some or all of your connections are via an RDP gateway?

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hello Richard,
I just experienced this issue. I basically opened RDM, then open a connection to two Windows 2008 R2 servers and one Windows 7 workstations, I kept switching between the there sessions and all of the sudden the application stop responding, when I look into Activity monitor the application is not consuming much resources and it is not on "not responding" state, please see images below

In order to redraw/repaint the screen I basically click on the "check for updates" menu option and then I see the last actions I did with the mouse or the keyboard, so the session is still processing input, sometime check for updates will allow me to see the screen working normally again for 2 or 3 seconds but then the issue resumes.

I'm testing all this inside my companies network so I doubt i'm using the RDP gateway, but the entry is configured to "Automatically detect RD gateway server settings", how can I verify this.?

I'm also sending you a PM with the system report.

Clock6 yrs

I decided to go ahead and change one of the entries to "do not use RD gateway", I was able to connect to it but then I wasn't able to click anywhere to have any input on the session. I had to disconnect, change it back to "Automatically detect RD Gateway server settings". When I tried to reconnect the RDM crashed, I reopened RDM and connect back to the session without any problems.

Clock6 yrs