Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Nmap support or better basic port scanning

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Currently in the latest RDM 9.x release. You can do a alternate host port scan, however what's the logic be-hide this? I run into a problem when trying to ssh tunnel local port 6000 to another machine on 3389. While trying to nest connects/sessions. So here's an example.

You want to RDP into a server behide a guarded garden. I should be able to do a port scan, determine that 3389 is filtered. Then open a VPN session to a existing session. That would have local port forwarders to that end system.

It would be great, if nmap support existed. As I can see myself or others possibly use this to configure complex RDM configurations. That do things automatic. I mean that's why RDM was created for right?

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
Have you tried to configure your VPN with the open if unable to ping? VPN could also be an SSH session if you want. All you need to do is to choose Existing session and pick a putty or build-in SSH.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Yeah, that's how I have it right now. But that doesn't work, it will ping the localhost and then try and connect. Instead of doing a port scan for localhost tcp/6000 for example.

Clock6 yrs

I will add the port scan mode for the VPN detection.

Thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Do you have a test build, that you like for me to try out?

Clock6 yrs

Not yet but this we should be able to add the feature next week. I'm currently working on the port scan for the disconnect

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Okay. Thanks for adding it. I've been wanting this since 5.0. smile

Clock6 yrs

This is now implemented (opened port detection) and it should be available tomorrow in the version 9.0.5.0
edited by dhervieux on 11/4/2013

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Great.

Clock6 yrs

I can't find 9.0.5.0. Am I missing something?

Clock6 yrs

OK. This feature works.

One problem I ran into was the default port. You can't use 0, you have to type in 22. Otherwise the port scan tries to scan port 0. Which in turn doesn't work and doesn't produce any error message or log message I could find.

Clock6 yrs

It's because RDM does not know which port should be the default. It different per VPN and in your case it's a SSH port.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

It all clicks together after looking at the screen long enough. smile

Clock6 yrs