Does RDM support port forwarding like secure CRT does. I saw an option to configure port forwarding when creating a SSH session but it does not have the functionality that secureCRT has.

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
We don't support native port forwarding, but we support SecureCRT as an addon, maybe you should give it a try.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

what port forwarding functions does secureCRT do that RDM and PuTTY can't?
<em>edited by sbonilla on 11/30/2010</em>

Clock8 yrs

sbonilla wrote:

what port forwarding functions does secureCRT do that RDM and PuTTY can't?
edited by sbonilla on 11/30/2010

From my personal experience Putty's port forwarding over ssh from a server that is NOT the ssh server is 1) confusing to configure correctly. 2) often has intermittent failures in the link.. causing you to have to reconnect to the ssh server. I know you might think that #2 must be some sort of networking issue but I used Putty for months and this occurred everyday and as soon as I went to SecureCRT it stopped. Vandyke used to have a seperate port forward link program that was the best.. they have integrated that technology into SecureCRT.

An example of the SecureCRT port fowarding:

[IMG]http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6593/localportforwardingprop.png[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Clock8 yrs

so, not so much a functional thing, but a reliability and ease of set up thing, correct?

Clock8 yrs

sbonilla wrote:

so, not so much a functional thing, but a reliability and ease of set up thing, correct?

Exactly, I think they offer a trial of secureCRT. Give it a shot. I think that the price is high but if you can convince your employer to pick up the tab like mine did its a great product.

Clock8 yrs

well, I have a group of people using PuTTy, and it seems to be working fine, no compliants

as an alternative, I'm partial to Tunnelier, have you tried that? works very well especially if you are running their server software too
<em>edited by sbonilla on 1/6/2011</em>

Clock8 yrs

Hi guys,
Do you know if RDM could integrate Tunnelier ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

I have not tried tunnelier, never heard of it.. downloading it now due to your suggestion.

Clock8 yrs

dhervieux wrote:

Hi guys,
Do you know if RDM could integrate Tunnelier ?

That would be cool. If the integration was better than the SecureCRT plugin I would be willing to switch. Try contacting the Devs? http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier
<em>edited by amlucent on 1/6/2011</em>

Clock8 yrs

I'd love to see Tunnelier integration. At the very least, it will accept plenty of command line arguments. I'm not sure about making it embedded, I just don't think it will work that way.

Clock8 yrs

Thank you for he command line, I`m pretty sure that we can do at least a basic integration. I will ask André (my colleague) if he can look at it when he finish the MySQL Add-on.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

I will check on them and I hope they offer one. At least demo to try it will do.

Clock6 yrs

Hello guys. I have given up relying on RDM for any of my ssh connections due to its lack of support for easy ssh tunneling and port forwarding. I found that when I did attempt to use RDM for these actions it would only support a limited number of port forwards and often they would die in the connection and you would have to reconnect to get them to work properly again. Also the built in UI for configuring these port forwards is very user unfriendly. I have been using Xshell or SecureCRT exclusively for all my ssh connections.

I did want to suggest that if you guys (RDM devs) were to add or change the built in terminal emulation application to Ponderosa http://en.poderosa.org/ (an open source terminal emulator for windows) I think you would have a much better base application to build these features on since it already supports this stuff very well. I have found that ponderosa works as well as secureCRT with regard to ssh tunnelling. Take a look at it and tell me what you think.

SSH tunneling is a huge feature for a support engineer who deals with a mixed unix/windows environment with bastion hosts like myself. Right now I see it as a race between who can implement this feature the most reliably between RDM, MremoteNG, and RoyalTS so they can truely deliver a complete connection manager solution to me.

Clock6 yrs

I've done client to server and server to client tunneling through RDM with pretty good success. The limit on port forwards is a putty limitation, not RDM.

The timeout is kind of a problem, also a putty thing. There are workarounds for it. you really just need to keep some activity going in the putty session. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I had RDM send a command to the putty session that did a "sleep 10" in a loop to work as a makeshift keepalive. That might help you.

Clock6 yrs

Have you tried to use the SecureCRT or Xshell add-on in RDM?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I have. The problem I have with these add ons is that they do little more than act like a placeholder for your ssh connections in the other applications. I mean when I want to launch a ssh connection in securecrt or xshell I just double click the connection and it opens it in a new window for that program. It cant embed this window.. none of the configuration data gets saved in my RDM configuration. If I want to port forward something I still have to make the configurations in that application and again its not saved in RDM. These addons do little more than create a list of my already configured connections and I really want a complete solution that saves its configuration data to RDM so that it will sync across multiple computers.

"The limit on port forwards is a putty limitation, not RDM."
I understand, thats why I put forth ponderosa as an alternative or replacement. I have never really been impressed with putty.
<em>edited by amlucent on 10/31/2012</em>

Clock6 yrs

I agree about putty being less than impressive when comparing to other tools that are available these days.

Clock6 yrs