Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Dynamic Views / Boolean Searching

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We have several hundred connection entries in RDM. We would like the ability to view these connections in different ways - for example, having a way to view all switches in Oklahoma City, all laptops in Baton Rouge, or all devices in Tampa Bay.

I realize that I can accomplish this is in a limited way by putting appropriate "first level" terms in the connection's descriptions and using the search function. However, since it appears as though the search function doesn't support boolean searches, I can't get a more discrete set of data (laptop AND "Baton Rouge" for example).

Ideally, I would like to be able to create dynamic folder views - Perhaps "Laptops" nested within "Baton Rouge" that would return the any matches for both of those terms. This would allow people to create persistent views of the data however they prefer.

Please let me know if there is a way to do something similar now, and I somehow haven't found it!

Thanks!
Andrew

Clock6 yrs

Hi Andrew
We have two features planned for the next major release:

- Advanced search with more criteria
- Multi terms search with space between them.

I think that with those features we will be able to create a persistent search criteria (view). In the meantime the only workaround would be to use the tag search feature.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

The interim alternative to this would be for us to build a folder structure based on location, then ensure that items we create within that folder have a meaningful tag - laptop, router, switch, etc. Then, if an admin wanted to search for what would have been a boolean item (Boise AND Laptop), a manual selection of the location folder would be accomplishing the first term.

This only works, though, if the scope of your search can be limited to the particular folder that is chosen. In my initial testing this does not appear to be the case. Could you confirm?

Thanks!

Clock6 yrs

The latest build now supports and/or filters

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/Download

A few notes on the implementation

• We use the C# nomenclature (&& for AND, || for OR)
  • Double-quotes (") are not required or removed, they are part of the text filter, dont' use unless you are looking for (")
  • Evaluated left-to-right
  • No parentheses matching
  • Token leading/trailing white-spaces are trimmed

Examples (this will work):

• Boise && Laptop
  • Boise&&Laptop
  • Boise && Laptop
  • Baton Rouge || Boise && Laptop
  • laptop && Baton Rouge

Examples (this will work):
  • laptop && "Baton Rouge" <-- Will work but filter for "Baton Rouge" and not Baton Rouge
  • Laptop && (Baton Rouge || Boise) <-- Will work but filter for Laptop and (Baton Rouge or Boise)

Give it a try and please leave your feedback,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

So far, this seems to be a fantastic improvement! It requires a little extra care when crafting queries not being able to use parentheses, but this is what we need.

Two suggestions for future implementation:

1) Allow the creation of Search Views - perhaps they would be simple Folders, but you could define a search parameter for the folder itself - "laptop && Baton Rouge || Boise" for example. What would appear to "live" in that folder is simply the result of the folder's defined query.

2) Part of the search query building I will be doing is searching on end-point properties that can be defined elsewhere in the connection. For example, under the "Information Tab" you have nice fields already for Domain, OS, "Is Virtual Machine", etc. The search function does not appear to use these fields, so I am duplicating the information as part of the free-text Tag fields. Perhaps having the ability to choose which tabs the search function will look at would be helpful (but I have a perfectly good workaround at the moment).

Thanks guys for being so responsive to user requests!

Clock6 yrs

@Andrew - Thank you for the feedback.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

We already plan to create an advanced search where you will also be able to preset the search criteria. It will include more properties and more filtering options

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs