Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - AddOns

SecureCRT Add-on Revision Request

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We are currently evaluating Remote Desktop Manager 5.8 Enterprise Edition with the SecureCRT Add-on using a shared Microsoft Access database on our local network. We installed the SecureCRT Add-on without issue, however it does not provide an option to choose the location of the ‘Session’ folder. (known as the ‘Configuration folder’ within SecureCRT) This value is set within SecureCRT and the Windows registry.

If we change the ‘Session’ folder within SecureCRT to a shared network folder, we can no longer use our local ‘Session’ folder unless we change it back. Can the SecureCRT Add-on be modified, so it gives the option to choose the location of the ‘Session’ folder? This would resolve our issue.

Just to add, the Enterprise Edition of Remote Desktop Manager supports both local and shared databases we’re just asking for the same function when using SecureCRT with Remote Desktop Manager.

Motivation: Once this works, we’ll want to purchase a Site license.

Cheers,
thfs

Clock10 yrs

Hi,
Thank you for the information. Can you give me the registry where the path is located? We will verify this key and try to load the session from here.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VanDyke\SecureCRT
Value name: Config Path
Value type: REG_SZ
Value data: C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Application Data\VanDyke\SecureCRT\Config

SecureCRT default configuration is the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Application Data\VanDyke\SecureCRT\Config
Contains *.ini setting files e.g. Global.ini

C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Application Data\VanDyke\SecureCRT\Config\Known Hosts
Contains *.pub public key files

C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Application Data\VanDyke\SecureCRT\Config\Sessions
Contains <hostname>.ini files for every server and/or device

The SecureCRT Add-on for Remote Desktop Manager loads the SecureCRT application using the <hostname>.ini in the 'Sessions' directory. If the <hostname>.ini file exist within a sub-directory e.g. ..\Sessions\Linux\<hostname>.ini the SecureCRT Add-on must contain the sub-directory e.g. Linux\<hostname> to work correctly.

So just to be clear the above settings should not be changed. Otherwise our local 'Sessions' will no longer be accessible. We need an option within the SecureCRT Add-on to set the location of a shared 'Sessions' directory. e.g. Z:\RemoteDesktopManager\SecureCRT\Config\Sessions\<hostname>.ini
NOTE: Z:\ is a shared network drive

Command line detail...

"C:\Program Files\VanDyke Software\SecureCRT\SecureCRT.exe" /f "C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Application Data\VanDyke\SecureCRT\Config" /s hostname

"C:\Program Files\VanDyke Software\SecureCRT\SecureCRT.exe" /f "Z:\RemoteDesktopManager\SecureCRT\Config" /s hostname

Cheers,
thfs

Clock10 yrs

David,

Do you need anything else from me?

Cheers,
thfs

Clock10 yrs

Hi,
Not for now, I just haven't the time to work on this. I hope to have time tomorrow.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

Hi André is working on updating the addon, but in the meantime, you can use the Other parameters fields ? Have you tried it with /f "Z:\RemoteDesktopManager\SecureCRT\Config" ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

dhervieux wrote:

Hi André is working on updating the addon, but in the meantime, you can use the Other parameters fields ? Have you tried it with /f "Z:\RemoteDesktopManager\SecureCRT\Config" ?

Yes, the command line /f "Z:\RemoteDesktopManager\SecureCRT\Config" works.

Cheers,
Tim

Clock10 yrs

Hi,
I updated the SecureCRT addon with the new version 1.1.0.0, can you give it a try ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

Works great! However, I still need some revisions:

01. Could you unlink the RDM Session Name from the SecureCRT Add-on Session name? When the SecureCRT Session name is located in a sub-directory, the RDM Session Name has to match. E.g. 'Sun Solaris\Sun Fire 280R'. I just want 'Sun Fire 280R' not the sub-directory as well.

02. Could you exclude "__FolderData__", "Default" and include sub-directories to the 'Session name' pull-down menu? As well have the pull-down menu refresh when selecting either 'Local Session’ or 'Shared Session'. Obviously the 'Shared Session' directory must have been specified already.

03. And finally, I get the following error message when opening a session in RDM while SecureCRT is already running (using the default local sessions): "Sun Fire 280R was not found in session database."

I verified this does not happen from command line. I opened SecureCRT and connected to a session, then from command line executed the following: "C:\Program Files\VanDyke Software\SecureCRT\SecureCRT.exe" /f "Z:\RemoteDesktopManager\SecureCRT\Config" /s hostname. I should point out that a new SecureCRT process opens each time.

FYI - I have been given permission to purchase a site license.

Cheers,
thfs
edited by thfs on 11/4/2010
<em>edited by thfs on 11/4/2010</em>

Clock10 yrs

Hello,
Can you please try this new version and come back to me with your comments ?
Thank you !

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

SecureCRTAddOn.zip
Clock10 yrs

Great work! Almost there...

thfs wrote:

01. Could you unlink the RDM Session Name from the SecureCRT Add-on Session name?

Completed.

thfs wrote:

02. Could you exclude "__FolderData__", "Default" and include sub-directories to the 'Session name' pull-down menu? As well have the pull-down menu refresh when selecting either 'Local Session’ or 'Shared Session'.

Completed, this function has helped greatly! Minor revision, when clicking between 'Local Session' and 'Shared Session' the current 'Session name' should clear as the pull-down menu sessions may be different.

thfs wrote:

03. And finally, I get the following error message when opening a session in RDM while SecureCRT is already running (using the default local sessions): "Sun Fire 280R was not found in session database."

Almost complete. If the 'New tab' option is unchecked it works, if checked same error. The RDM session needs to verify if an existing SecureCRT process is using local or shared sessions, if shared open a new tab within the existing shared SecureCRT process not the local SecureCRT process.

*NEW* 04. When opening a second SecureCRT Add-on session (with the 'New tab' option checked, the default setting) the SecureCRT icon changes to the green play icon, but after entering the username the icon changes back?

If 'New tab' is checked the green play icon should be based on the SecureCRT sessions status: connected or disconnected
If 'New tab' is unchecked the green play icon should be based on each SecureCRT process status: opened or closed

Cheers,
thfs

Clock10 yrs

Hi,
For the last 2 points, there is now way for us to verify that, we cannot get the status from SecureCRT, since it's not a COM or ActiveX. It's only a command line and we don't have any control on which process the SecureCRT use (local or shared). Maybe you have an idea ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

I apologize if the following suggested enchantments are already in RDM 6.0, but I haven’t had an opportunity to evaluate it yet.

01. Could you please add to the SecureCRT Add-on the option to Ping, Continuous Ping and Trace Route.
INI file: S:"Hostname"=<Hostname, FQDN or IP Address>

02. Would you please consider adding an additional option to the ‘Filter sessions’. A check box beside the ‘clear’ button that will do an in-depth search of all the sessions. I’d like to be able to search the following fields (and more): Description, Computer, User name, Domain.
E.g. In the Description field we put the version of Windows
E.g. In the Computer field we only use the IP address (not FQDN)

Searching the above two fields would be great!

Cheers,
thfs

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
I added two feature request for that, thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Could you please consider the following?

01. When clicking between 'Local Session' and 'Shared Session' the current 'Session name' should clear as the pull-down menu sessions may be different.

02. Could you please add to the SecureCRT Add-on the option to Ping, Continuous Ping and Trace Route.
INI file: S:"Hostname"=<Hostname, FQDN or IP Address>

03. Could you increase the horizontal length (similar to the 'Shared 'config' folder' field) of the 'Session name' pull-down menu.

Cheers,
thfs
<em>edited by thfs on 8/31/2011</em>

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
I added your request to my todo list. I will see what I can do when all our staff are back from vacation.

Thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Any updates?

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
André has finished his embedded SSH project and he will be able to update some add-on soon. This should be on his list.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
This is a new version of the DLL (1.3.0.0).
Would you please test it and give feedback.
Regards

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

ASanscartier wrote:

This is a new version of the DLL (1.3.0.0).
Would you please test it and give feedback.

Excellent, verified all 3 enhancements.

Unfortunately the increased horizontal length of the ‘Session name’ pull-down menu is still too short (we use many sub-directories). The easiest solution I can think of is to add a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom as well.

In addition, could you add the following features as well?

05. Add an auto fill feature:

Under 'File -> Options -> Installation Path tab' add a field to specify the 'Shared Session Default path'. So when a new SecureCRT Session is added, the 'Shared 'config' folder' is auto filled (but can be edited) with the 'Default path' value. This is a huge time saver.

06. Is there any way to add a report comparing a list of RDM SecureCRT Sessions to a list of INI files listed in the Shared Session folder, so we know if any are missing?

07. When deleting a SecureCRT Session, could you add the option to delete the corresponding INI file? Obviously, a users account privileges may not allow the INI file to be deleted.

Reference:
http://forum.devolutions.net/forum/topic1182-request-for-securefx-addon.aspx

Cheers,
thfs
<em>edited by thfs on 12/9/2011</em>

Clock9 yrs