Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Auto-Hide Session Panel

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

It would be really great to make the session panel Auto-Hide enabled. This would cause the embedded sessions to have a bigger screen.

We are in the process of moving from mRemote, which has this feature and we're kinda used to it wink.

Cheers!

Sjoerd

Cheers!

Sjoerd

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
This is a frequently requested feature, we have a small UI update coming soon but it's not the complete auto hide feature. There is many third party but it's not easy to integrate with our existing code. The other problem is that we want to produce eventually a MAC OS X version and it's not compatible with MONO (.NET for Linux and MAC.

We will try to find a solution in a near feature.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Thanks, just downloaded the new 3.4 build with the test for the auto-hide feature. Looks good! Now for the right panel wink

Cheers!
Sjoerd

Cheers!

Sjoerd

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
What do you mean by the right panel ? Do you mean when the session is docked right ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
I uploaded a new build (same version) with the right panel fixed:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/download/Setup.RemoteDesktopManager.5.8.3.4.exe

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

David,
How can I make it auto-hide? When I have the panel open and open a session, the session uses the space it has left as the session width. When I click on the panel-hide-button, then the session still has the same dimensions.

Sjoerd

Cheers!

Sjoerd

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
I'm unable to reproduce this behavior, can you send me a printscreen, maybe I will see something that I missed. Quick question, does it collapse when you click on the hide button even if the session has the same size ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

I have sent you an email with screenshot.

Cheers!

Sjoerd

Clock9 yrs

I was actually coming here to make a similar request. Until discovering RDM I was using a different program which has the equivalent "Session Pane" as a tab itself rather than a fixed UI element, just like the Dashboard is in RDM. All embedded connections start a new tab at the Window resolution. If I'm using this .4 RDM build correctly the only way for the collapsing Session Pane to increase the connection size is to use the scaling function rather than sizing natively to the full window minus session pane. My preference would be for a setting that has the connection expecting the Session Pane to be collapsed and sizes the connection accordingly.

Another feature of the other program is that when maximized it does away with the standard titlebar and has the option to hide the menu bar. The interface can be pared down to the point that the only thing you see is the tab bar and the tab for the "Session Pane" (called the Connection Manager in this app) gives you quick access to all your connections.

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
Here is a small tips if you use the version 5.8.3.12, while you can click on the menu or the action link to open an embedded session, hold the control key, it will collapse the session pane and open the session in the correct resolutions.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Great, thanks for the quick response! I've upgraded now and this is much better. What would make it even better is if this behavior could be set as default, perhaps in the UI Options. And while it's nit-picking, resizing the window to bring out the Session Pane is slower than desired. Personally, I think the perfect implementation of this is in Visual Studio, like the Toolbox window. It's an overlay when you bring it out but when you pin it open the overlaid window resizes to accommodate it.

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
the Visual Studio implementation is interesting, but I have a problem, the application use an MDI interface and it's hard to create an overlay over the MDI children. Anyway, I will try to find a solution eventually and I know that this solution is not final.

Thank you for your feedback

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

What about a checkbox in the Session-Dialog: "Auto-Hide Sessions Pane"?

Also helpful: Navigation-Elements in the Dashboard (Forward, Backward, Home, etc...).

A fullscreen option might be very helpful, too.

d-no75
<em>edited by d-no75 on 11/12/2010</em>

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
I added your request to our todo list. For the auto hide, this will hide the session pane automatically when you open a session.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

What's the progress on this? as for other interesting requests and SDK updates?

Cheers!

Sjoerd

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
It still on the todo list. The next release should contains an updated SDK and some small login / authentication tools like KeePass and tools custom credentials. For the auto hide, if you hold Ctrl, it will collapse the panel. You can also set that by default in the application options: Session Type tab page, the Collapse session list on open embedded checkbox.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

I am really interested in the changes of the SDK and hopefully you have time to build the SDK access to the credential repository.
Then I can update the Proxy AddOn.

Cheers!

Sjoerd

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I was working this morning on the new interfaces for the SDK and I also want to include the credentials. It's a big SDK update that should be functional by the of the next week.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

David,

Just noticed that auto-hide does not work when double clicking on 'Add-On'-sessions. Does the add-on has to support this?

Cheers!

Sjoerd

Clock8 yrs

I will verify, there is no reason except a bug or a call that I might forgot to call.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I verified and it works fine for me. I tried the PDF addon. Which type of add-on have you tried ? I tried with the collapse set by default in the options and also with holding the CTRL key.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hi, I am interested in hiding the menu too before purchasing the product. This is an important feature to me.
When is the plan to have this available?
Thanks

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I added this to our todo list, we must hide the menu and the quick connect toolbar. What you want is to have something like a fullscreen mode?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Ideally, something similar to Google Chrome, where you only see the tabs on the top of the screen. If this is hard, then just allow for the title bar to be shown.
You can do something to show/hide menu when the user presses the Alt key (Firefox 5 does it, Microsoft Lync...).
I wouldn't recommend the full screen, because the user might want to see the Windows status bar all the time.
With the free open source I use, I can hide everything except the title bar. All the options and the connections are available by using the RMC. Minimalism smile
Thanks in advance for considering these comments...

Clock8 yrs

Ok,
Good news, this will be in the next version. Thank you for your patience.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

That's great news. Any chance of getting ahold of a beta build with it added? This will allow me to switch from my no longer supported product to RDM for my own use. Currently the UI hit is too much for my laptop screen.

Clock8 yrs

Ok,
Can you try this updated version:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/download/Setup.RemoteDesktopManager.6.1.6.0.exe

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Thanks! So the new addition is the ability to hide the "top pane"? That's better, but I'd still like more. The program I use for myself will go on top of the taskbar and has no title bar. When maximized it's just a set of tabs, one tab is the equivalent of RDM's Sessions Pane and Dashboard, and on the right with the usual Minimize, Restore, Close buttons is a button that pulls down the usual menus, what RDM calls the Top Pane. Next to that is a SmartSize button that scales the connection to the window size if needed.

Tabs:

Buttons:

Thanks for adding one more piece of UI that we can turn off, but it would be great if RDM would get out of the way even more. Other than those tabs and the buttons on the same bar, when set to full-screen mode my current RDP front end adds no UI elements other than that 1 px wide red border to show you you're in an remote connection since you can't see the host machine's taskbar. I wish I could turn it off but the program doesn't seem to respect the toggle that is supposed to disable it.
edited by Liquidmantis on 7/11/2011
<em>edited by Liquidmantis on 7/11/2011</em>

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I added your feature request, thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hi, do you have a binary (portable) version of this release 6.1.6.0?

Clock8 yrs