Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Command line Parameter HOSTNAME

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

we're using an asset management software, where we can set links to various programs (i.e. Radmin, RDP...). The software provides variables like HOSTNAME or IPADDRESS, so we can define a program link like "C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe /v:HOSTNAME". A right-click to a certain host will start an RDP-Connection to this host. Same thing for Radmin or Putty or whatever we define, so we have a dynamic link that works with all hosts.
Would it be possible to create a link to "Remotedesktopmanager.exe /HOSTNAME" or anything similar, that would start the manager with the hostname already filled in, and to be able to select the connection type (RDP, Radmin, Putty) afterwards?
I saw, that there is a command line parameter in the Enterprise Edition like "session id", but therefore the connection has to be pre-defined in the manager and i can't dynamically connect from a third-party-software...

Thanks in advance
Mana

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
It's not possible yet, but you gave me an excellent idea. I could add a command line parameter for the quick connect. You will be able to specify a hostname and a template id. Sounds good?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Hi David,

do you mean that I could define one template for RDP (lets call it ID 1), one for Radmin (ID 2), one for Putty (ID 3) and then call "remotedesktopmanager.exe /HOSTNAME /ID#" and will get the right host with the chosen connection type?
That would be great!

Thanks
Mana

Clock9 yrs

Exactly, it's not implemented yet but I'm sure that it could be nice. you will be able configure it as you wish and execute it.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Hi David,
did you implement this function already? Just tried out the new 6.0.1.0 but I couldn't find anything like this...

Greetings
Mana

Clock8 yrs

This was supposed to be in the version 6.0, but this feature was cut at the last minute. I really hope to implement this for the next major update.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hi David,
are there any news on this feature?
Greetings
Mana

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
This will be in the next version (6.5). I had completely forgotten this feature I have completed it today.
<em>edited by dhervieux on 9/12/2011</em>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hi David,

thank you for this feature.
My own Customer-tool comes up on incoming phone-calls and now the remote-session is only one click away.
There are only two points, I would ask:
- to start a remote-session using commandline parameters is kind of slow, although the RDM is started already.
Is it possible that you catch the running application and use the commandline parameters there?
In version 6.5 it feels like the program starts a new instance, connect himself to the sql-server and then starts the remote-session. On my machine this takes about 20 seconds...
- for me and my program the messagebox that now a remote-session will be startet is not nessessary. Have you got a commandline parameter to supress this box?

Thank you in advance and
greetings from germany
Reiner

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
You can remove the message box and the application option. It's in the advanced tab page: Open shortcut client silent

I will verify if I could reuse the running instance.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

I would really like to use this feature. I cannot find any documentation on how to use it. Can you provide me with some documentation?

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
I'm not sure that it's what you want but this could help:

CommandLine

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

CommandLine.png
Clock7 yrs

Hi David,

are there news about getting the Commandline startup faster if the program is already running?
What about the reuse idea?

My program reuses his own instances himself, but RDM isn't a .Net development, isn't it?
Otherwise I can help you out, with some Events ;-)

kind regards
Reiner Wolff

Clock7 yrs

It's already reuse the instance and send a message. It was very quick at the time we had implemented that, maybe it's time for some profiling.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Oh, I will first check, if I have already the latest version installed.

I can have a look with the SQL Profiler or what do you mean with 'profiling'?

Clock7 yrs

Hi
I mean a performance profiling. In .NET, I use dotTrace.

http://www.jetbrains.com/profiler/

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Thanks for the hint.
With that program I can debug the performance of Remotedesktopmanager?
With the RDM startet the created desktop link takes 7 seconds to start the remote session.

I will give it a try.

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
You won't be able to debug it. You need the debug symbol usually.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs