Forum / Password Vault Manager - Feature Request

External queries to DB

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,
I'm going to develop an app that needs a lot of passwords.
Nowadays these passwords are stored in a password vault SQL DB.
I was wondering how to query from my app directly into the password vault db.
How about a webservice/SOAP or a method to receive queries from external applications (API? Don't know... ) ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
We don't have an API directly but if you use SQL Server, you could query the database directly. You will need to set an unsafe password key to allow you to decrypt the password in the database. Take a look at Administration->Data Source Setting

You will see how to set the safe password encrytion key. This will fill the password field in the database encrypted with the key you've just entered

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi,

I was wondering if there's still no other way to actually get information through different method like let's say through a powershell librairie/module with authentication ? Or maybe through any other kind of security door. This would help me automate self service processes.

Many thanks !

Clock4 yrs

We have a PowerShell library now.

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/powershell_cmdlets.htm

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Thank you for the quick answer !

Clock4 yrs

I guess this only applies to Remote Desktop Manager, and that there's no way to acces the password of a credential through the Powershell Snap-In. The thing is I'm trying to use it in a very specific way which would require to be able to use the password of a user for generating a certain type of file (for which I need the password) and then give it back to someone through a service where the client would only need to give me the username. The file is encrypted in the end so there's no breach of security on my end.

If there's anything you can think of that would be much appreciated. Else I'm still working my way through the snap-in to see all the actual possibilities !

Clock4 yrs

Hello Jonathan,
Perhaps you could try to store the password in a Custom field and set it through PowerShell. You could use a variable in the password field to use the value.

What do you think?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs