Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

New v9 Enhancement Request - Contact Entry Types

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi RDM Support
I like the new "Contact" data type in v9 - thanks.
I would like a feature to convert existing entries to Contacts. For example, I have a number of entries of type "Data Entry/Account" into which I have stored contact information into the Information > Contact tab. It would be nice to be able to convert (or copy) these to the new "Contact" types, by using the values that I've put into the "Contact" tab as the starting point for fields in the new Contact entry.
Thanks
Des
edited by ceo_rdm on 10/4/2013

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
This is an excellent point. I will add a refactoring called Extract Contact. This should be included soon after we've fixed the other bugs smile

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

...after we've fixed the other bugs smile

What, do you mean all those bugs that I'm throwing at you!? smile

Des

Clock6 yrs

By the way, I haven't released the version 9.0.1 yet but I have updated the binaries of RDM 9.0.0.0 with many fixes:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/ThankYou?f=RDMbin

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

By the way, I haven't released the version 9.0.1 yet but I have updated the binaries of RDM 9.0.0.0 with many fixes:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/ThankYou?f=RDMbin

Excellent - thanks - I have upgraded my PC with these updated binaries, and all looks well. I will wait for 9.0.1 official release, however, before I roll it out to my other users. Also, I will want to create a package of 9.0.1, so please don't forget to update the online create package feature with a 9.0.1 option.

ETA?

Cheers

Des

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
We expect to create a new version this Friday. We still have few minor issues that we want to include.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi David

I have just packaged and deployed 9.0.1 to all my users - thanks so much for getting this version out so quickly - everybody here is loving it!

With regards to the Refactoring of Contact details, I have just been using that to convert our Data entries to Contact entries - nice - very good - thanks! A couple of things, however (sorry) :

1) I think the Phone field should go into the "Work phone" field in the Contact, not the "Home phone" as it does presently. Given that RDM is typically used in corporate environments, I figure this makes more sense.

2) If the First name and Last name fields are blank - it just creates an entry without a name - might be work adding a couple of quick "integrity checks" on the entry being converted to make sure the resulting entry isn't just rubbish.

3) The logic which greys out the "Refactoring > Contact" icon in the ribbon bar is faulty. If you use the Navigation pane to select the entry - it seems to work fine, HOWEVER, at first I was trying to select the entries from within the Dashboard, and found that if there were multiple entries listed, it would allow me to convert the first one to type Contact, but then the icon would grey-out and stay greyed-out for all the others! There are 2 easy workarounds to this bug (either work exclusively from the Navigation pane, or use Search/Filter to find the entry you want), but it buggy enough that I thought I should report it.

Thanks for an otherwise EXCELLENT feature!

Des

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I have made some adjustment and fixed the extract issue when you use the dashboard.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs