Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Session Timer

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I finally thought of an innovative idea for a new feature for RDM. We use this application to remotely manage all of our clients, as a subcontract IT provider we bill for all of our time in 15 minute increments. Each employee in my company has their own SQL identity for RDM so if there was a way to enable a timer option on a per session basis this would drastically simplify our billing. Obiously the setting should not be global as we have internal servers and vendor servers that we don't bill for. If this data could then be recorded in SQL and a report by date range could be added then we could use that for all billing purposes. Maybe also add a button for users to input notes into the time tracking as to what they did while connected this would be a plus.

P.S. I love this program, thank you so much for creating it.

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
we already have a plan for a feature like this and I'm sure that it could be very useful for many people. Our company is growing and we hope to be able to start a new module that implements this feature.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Is it also possible to add a timer which will count when a tab is active? If I switch to another tab, the timer should pause, and if I go back to the tab the timer should continue.

thanks!

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
@Blokie I added your request, but I can't give you a timeframe

Thank you
<em>edited by dhervieux on 8/16/2010</em>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Hi David,

Can you give some more information about the timeframe?

Thanks!

Clock8 yrs

Today, I added some missing column to begin the new module. We should work on it after the next release. I hope to release the next version at the end of the month.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hi David,

Can you tell us more about the time frame please?
I hope you can add this feature soon!

Thanks in advance!

Clock8 yrs

We hope to have this for the next major release, this summer (late June).

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hello David,

So I discovered that you are already storing all session data in SQL when configured that way and we are creating our own backend reporting app to display this information. The one thing I am hoping to see get added to RDM is the ability to from a deployment wide setting enable a category based popup that required the user to choose if this connection is billable or that time tracking is required. So basically we could have a client category and an intenal category that could be assigned to each group or connection so that we arent bothered with this popup on internal servers or customers with free remote support etc but to have this popup launch prior to connection on the other categories, etc. This popup should also prompt for a description of the purpose of the connection.

So in summary if I make a connection to a client machine it would ask me if this connection was billable and to annotate a description of the reason for this connection (ega, backup software reinstallation) This would then have two new fields in the SQL database, a tracking field and a description field. I could then modify our sql query to display all billable connections during month x and it would display the date/time, RDM username (technician identifier), hours:minutes of connection, technician entered description, client group (customer name), and actual connection name (device name).
Since you already have all of those fields being recorded except for the ones I am requesting to be added to a popup I would imagine this wouldnt be to difficult and since it would require being enabled in the company wide settings this feature woudlnt upset people who have no need for it. Also I woudl be more than happy to supply you with our reporting app to distribute to anyone who does not have the time or experience to create their own.

Daniel

Clock8 yrs

Hi Daniel, sorry for the delay, we already thought of adding some billing functionality. Just to be sure, you need a flag (Is billed) but you could reuse the already existing prompt for the description?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hello David,

Can you please tell us the status of the session timer (time of active tab)
It will be so great if we can use this for registration and bills for our customers

Thanks in advance!

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I have some feature to finish before and I will try to squeeze those enhancement in the final release.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Is this feature available in 6.5?
If not can you give me a timeframe?

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
Unfortunately it's not implemented yet. I still have it on my short term todo but I can't give you a time frame.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hello David,

When do we get the version of RDM where this session timer is implemented?
We hope that it can be very soon!!

Thanks!

Clock7 yrs

In the next beta release. I'm working on it right now
<em>edited by dhervieux on 12/29/2011</em>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

thanks a lot wink this is great!

There's only one thing that we hope you can solve it quickly:
When we minimize the program, with an active tab, the program count further.
Our idea: please make it like this:
If we have an active tab and we minimize the screen, the timer has to stop and count further when we reopen the window.

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
In my initial test, the application was not counting when it was minimized. I will add another verification to ensure that it's not counted. By the way, you have the active time in the tab page tooltip.
<em>edited by dhervieux on 1/2/2012</em>

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Ok, thanks again
I'm waiting for the next update!

Clock7 yrs

Any update on that feature?

Clock6 yrs

This is already implemented.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Sorry to be dense, but how do I switch it on and off?

Clock6 yrs

It's in the log directly and it can't be turned off. Perhaps we are not talking about the same feature.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs