Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Tags instead of groups

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

i'd like to suggest to have the opportunity to set tag's for each item instead of creating groups.

Following some advantages.
- Easly find your Item
- Tag Items for more then jeust one (Remote, Network, etc.)

Maybe this function could be setup as an addition view (tree-view tagged), so it would be free to use.

regards

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
I like your idea, I already wanted to add tag, but I never tough to include this in the tree and I think that it could be very nice.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

I found this thread after I had already written this up and what I have to say is mostly just a long and wordy way of repeating what sajad just said. Rather than simply adding a pithy "Uh, yeah! I want what he wants!" I'm just going to include the whole thing because I apparently like to hear myself talk.

One of the things I really like about RDM is that I can somewhat use the sessions window/tree as documentation as well as an organization tool. My eventual goal is to sell the rest of my IT department on RDM and set it up so that we share a session tree. Having all information on a particular application in a single group would be incredibly helpful when we are covering for one another and trying to work on unfamiliar applications.

Regarding the session tree, groups and tags... I specifically want to be able to put a single session into multiple groups and be able to organize the session tree according to different grouping schemas.

Here is an example with three organization schemas -

• A Connection Type schema with groups arranged according to session type
    All RDP sessions, All SSH sessions, All Windows Explorer, etc
  • An Application schema with each group containing multiple session types that all support a single distributed application
    A single group might contain one or more RDP sessions, SSH/Telnet session, Windows explorer, FileZilla FTP session, etc
  • A Target type schema with groups containing multiple types but similar function
    A Database group might contain SQL Server Management Studio sessions, RDP sessions and Putty sessions.

Ways to implement the grouping I want to using the current RDM...
  • Just pick one organization method for the Session Tree and manage the other through keywords. - This is workable but the problem is I don't end up with a visual tree for the keyword organized sessions. Also, I have to edit each session to add a keyword vs being able to drag it or duplicate it in a new group.
  • Add multiple schemas in as groups and just deal with the duplicate sessions by using the stored credentials - This would solve the problem of maintaining passwords in the sessions but still required editing the sessions individually to change keywords and other information.

Here are some suggestions for changes to RDM...
  • Session Pointer - One possible solution to duplicate sessions that might be fairly easy to implement would be to add an additional session type that is a pointer/shortcut to another session. (I really hate the idea of multiple sessions of the same type to the same target because it offends my inner DBA.) This could be helpful under my 'Application Type' schema where sessions in a group might be named according to the information found there which could cause you to end up with multiple items pointing to a single session. For example you might have a Windows Explorer session named documentation and another named passwords and both point to the same directory.

• Add Session - If we were required to state the target first you could display a list of all existing session for that target and if you just wanted one of those it would add it as a pointer under that group.
  • Group level tagging - Another thought would be to expand the keyword/tagging functionality to include the groups. Maybe be able to associate keywords with a group or right-click on a group and be able to add a keyword to all sessions under that group. Possibly by adding the ability to manage keywords/tags on multiple sessions through the 'batch editing' feature? Hmm... I was thinking you could store all the tags at the session level but you might be better off storing the group tags separately from the session tags and then use whatever mechanism you already have for associating groups to sessions.
  • Dynamic Session Tree - Along with the group level tagging, the ability display the session tree according to group/tag would be fabulous. (You could even be wild and add the ability to modify the display order within a group based on name or session type. Maybe that's going too far though.)
  • Edit Session > Information tab - It looks like you are encrypting this information into the 'data' column in the connections database. How about separating this information from the session data? This would allow you to share contacts (and other info) between sessions without having to retype it. (Just provide a way to either add a new contact or select an existing one.) Same could be said for most non-connection specific information. Rather than just a keywords text box, display all existing keywords and a way to select multiple tags and add them to the session data.

Clock8 yrs

Hi bbartlett,
First of all thank you for the great post. There is many interesting stuff in your post. I'm not that I can do everything but I took many notes. We already have many topic on our todo list and we want to release a completely new module for RDM oriented on the customer management. This will include links and avoid duplicate entries. WE also want to offer a better documentation mechanism.

For the database structure, we use a very simple schema because it's easier to maintains. Each database upgrade is a pain for our customer.

It's not perfect, but you can watch for the next beta release, there is one feature interesting: custom session tools. You will be able to create specific action to execute on an exsiting session, one of them is a template action. This mean that if you have an RDP session, you can create an Explorer template and open a share for your RDP session. This mean that if all you PC have a common share name, you won't need to create a sub session for all of them. You will be able to use a template.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs