Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

64-Bit Version

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Since 64-bit OS and applications are becoming the standard, it would be nice to have a 64-bit version of Remote Desktop Manager. While you could argue that there’s no benefit with a 64-bit version, from my testing I see a 5% to 15% speed increase in 64-bit builds vs. their 32-bit builds, which adds up to a perceivable amount using all 64-bit applications. With Remote Desktop Manager being written in .NET, a 64-bit version is easy, as I have already gotten it to work in 64-bit mode. There are a few things that will need to be done:

First, the 32BIT .NET flag must be set from 1 to 0. Use the CorFlags.exe found in the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C06B8369-60DD-4B64-A44B-84B371EDE16D&displaylang=en. Execute “corflags RemoteDesktopManager.exe /32BIT-“ and “corflags RemoteDesktopManager.AddOn.dll /32BIT-“.

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework CorFlags Conversion Tool. Version 4.0.30319.1
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Version : v2.0.50727
CLR Header: 2.5
PE : PE32
CorFlags : 1
ILONLY : 1
32BIT : 0
Signed : 0

The second issue is with using an Access, mdb, data source. You will receive the following error:

The current datasource is unavailable.

The ‘Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0’ provider is not registered on the local machine.

This is because there isn’t a 64-bit version of the Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 provider. There is a 64-bit version available in the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C06B8369-60DD-4B64-A44B-84B371EDE16D&displaylang=en. Using ‘Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0’ to connect should work, but this would require changing the source code, which obviously I don’t have access to. Using an XML data source works fine.

When running in 64-bit mode, I did have to reenter the installation path of WinSCP one time, but this was a minor issue and probably due to a Wow6432Node issue, but that’s just a guess.

Another minor issue is that the software should be installed in “Program Files” instead of “Program Files (x86)” on a 64-bit version of Windows when the software is native 64-bit.

Hopefully my initial research will be appreciated and these relatively minor changes can be made so that Remote Desktop Manager will be 64-bit.

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
I really appreciate your work, I will look further to make a real 64 bits version by the end of the year. Thank you very much.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Any status on 64-bit?

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
We got many issue with some thirdparty (COM object interrop) and we are not sure when will fully convert our product in 64 bits. We are working on new features and the new Remote Desktop Manager Online platform.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Thank you.

On a side note, works quite well in XP mode. The catch is you have to copy the start menu shortcut from the active users to "All Users" for the XP Mode application publishing to work properly.

I just copied the folder from: C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Start Menu\Programs\Devolutions to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Devolutions

Ted

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi,
We got many issue with some thirdparty (COM object interrop) and we are not sure when will fully convert our product in 64 bits. We are working on new features and the new Remote Desktop Manager Online platform.

<em>edited by trwagner1 on 5/9/2011</em>

Clock8 yrs