Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

2X Client

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

My company uses the 2X Application Server for Terminal Services (www.2x.com) for a couple connections, and is going to be adding more soon. Is there any possibility of integrating that client into RDM so that I can open published 2X client RDP connections in embedded tabs? I can create a command line entry that will launch the connection, but of course it won't open as a tab, but rather an external window. Any chance this could happen?

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
Can you give me more details about this product ? If it's use a RDP connection, you should be able to open it in a tab, but if they use their own protocol, I'm not sure. Can you give me an example of command line, what client they use ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

An example of the command line to launch a published connection is as follows: "C:\Program Files (x86)\2X\Client\TSClient.exe" s!='appserver.address.com' t!='443' d!='domainname' u!='username' a!='applicationtostart' m!='2' o!='1' i!=''

I don't know much about it, but trial versions of the Application Server and client component (as well as a manual with the command line switches) can be downloaded from here: http://www.2x.com/applicationserver/downloadlinks.html

This system is somewhat similar to Citrix, in that it seems to provide a proprietary layer on top of RDP, yet it still appears to use the core of the Microsoft RDP client. It also publishes connections to users' desktops, similar to Citrix. The download link above has some scripting components that claim to let you be able to interact with the remote application server via VBScript of JavaScript, so that could be helpful in integrating it into RDM. If I were a programmer, I'd dive into this myself to try and make an add-on for RDM, but unfortunately I'm not. We just decided to purchase RDM Enterprise edition for our company, so any integration efforts for the 2X client would be much appreciated!

Clock9 yrs

Hmm, I just found out that the scripting stuff I mentioned is only for administrative functions on the application server itself, so unfortunately there's nothing there that will help with embedding it into RDM. =(

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
there is a WebPortalSample on the 2X Site mentioned by ivorycruncher, which could help.
One could enter the url for the 2XWebPortal, the farm,folder and application id along with the needed credentials to gain access to the apps of favour.
2X is definitely worth a try! 80% cost reduction compared with Citrix.
It extends the RDS protocol and 2X Applicationserver XG now can also access VDI thru ESX or Hyper-V.
If one registers the trial he gets a fully functional Terminal Server solution with 3 concurrent connections.
It is licensed per server not per seat. That's where the savings come from.
Another way could be to gather for the settings in the registry (HKCU hive).

RDM 10.5.2.0 Enterprise
RDMS 2.2.7.0

Clock7 yrs

I only recently discovered this product and thinking of buying a license for our company. We have 3 clients of ours that we login to using the 2x Client as well, so an addition to the rdm would be really nice smile

Clock7 yrs

André is gone take a look at this when he will have the time. He is currently working on finishing few another few add-ons.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi,

I created a new Add-on for 2X Client.
I tried to test it but I am not familiar with this product.
Could you please do some tests and give us feedback.

Thanks
<em>edited by ASanscartier on 4/19/2012</em>

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Client2X1.0.0.0.zip
Clock7 yrs

Hello Andre,

thank you for your effort on this topic.
I just took a first look and configured our 2X Server.
But I only get an error saying
"Code 02/00000003
The Client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.

The most likely causes for this error are:
1) The servers are too busy to service your request
2) The machine is not part of the farm."

But the connection through the 2X Client directly succeeds.

My settings in the 2X Client are:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\2X\AppServerClient\Farms\F0000\Conn0000]
"Mode"=dword:00000000 --> (=regular Gateway)
"Server"="2xserver.domain.local"
"ServerPort"=dword:00000050 --> (=80)
"tmpgw"=dword:00000050 --> (=80)
"tmpssl"=dword:000001bb --> (=443)

We have 2X ApplicationServer 9 installed and I tested with both 2X Client 9.0 and 10.1.

best regards

Steffen

RDM 10.5.2.0 Enterprise
RDMS 2.2.7.0

Clock7 yrs

Hi,

I made some improvements in the Add-on.
Now it detects shortcut names (Application/Desktop ID) for the 2X client.

Could you do an other test but this time only specify the Application/Desktop ID from the combo box (create a new entry in RDM and set only this field).
According to my tests it should work. After that you could try other settings like overriding user name and password.

Thanks
<em>edited by ASanscartier on 4/20/2012</em>

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Client2X1.1.0.0.zip
Clock7 yrs

Chapeau! Andre,

new connection -> klick on Application dropdown
it is prefilled with all the configured applications!
Connect session and ta-daa there it is.

this works great.
will now look at the other options and report again.

best regards

Steffen
<em>edited by stevecharon on 4/20/2012</em>

RDM 10.5.2.0 Enterprise
RDMS 2.2.7.0

Clock7 yrs

Hi again,
I changed the credentials in the rdm session for 2x connection to no avail.
Only after setting host and port it connected again.
But the application list is not updated. So one has to guess which application has been provided.
Of course an admin could create the session for the user (and the admin should know the details...)
I guess the application list I mentioned in the previous post was gathered from the registry or such.
So how could a user enter the right information without having a connection in the first place?
From an admin point of view it works kinda well.
The dumb user probably will have some steps to climb.

I have to commit that this addon evolves quickly.
thank you andre, again

Steffen

RDM 10.5.2.0 Enterprise
RDMS 2.2.7.0

Clock7 yrs

Hi,

In fact the information of the Application drop-down comes from the register "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\2X\Shortcuts".
It is the only place that I found about this information. It seems that this list is refreshed at each server connection at start of 2X Client.
Do you know another way to retrieve this list ? Otherwise I'm stuck.

Thanks

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi Andre,
sorry for the late answer.
I have been thinking on this for a while.
I guess that you this has to be done in two steps:
1. log on to the 2X server and query for the configured applications
2. fill the application field with the gathered information
This would be similar to the auto-logon for IE sessions where you could configure the url and RDM parses the output to guess the button_ids.
Works in most cases for me.
To achieve this you could study the web portal examples http://2x.com/downloads/AppServer-LoadBalancer/2xWebPortalSample.zip or the
http requestor http://2x.com/downloads/AppServer-LoadBalancer/2XHttpRequestor.zip or the
2X scripting http://2x.com/downloads/AppServer-LoadBalancer/2XScripting.zip
Dont know which would fit best for this so I mentioned all of it.

hth,

Steve

RDM 10.5.2.0 Enterprise
RDMS 2.2.7.0

Clock7 yrs