Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Background connection handling

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

we have a couple of issues with RDM, that (I think) could all be solved the same way:
- When starting up RDM client without a connection to the server it takes quite a while for the client to detect that, and ask for offline mode. In this time you are not productive. If you haven't RDM client running all the time (reasons for this are complex), this can be quite annoying
- When your internet/VPN connection is slow (think off shore Wifi, 3G etc), using RDM online is painfully slow. Determining a password for a session that was using a share credential took me well over 2 minutes.
- When using RDM online and the internet connection drops out, RDM again becomes unusable depending on what you do.

I see two options:
a.) Best case: With the new beta having the ability to sync stuff, would it be possible to act on local cache and sync in the background. This way the user doesn't have to wait for the network speed
b.) Simple: Ability to remember/preconfigure offline mode. So that when RDM starts up, it doesn't even try to connect.

regards
Alex

Clock6 yrs

Alex,

We already have a task on our to-do list to improve offline detection. We will add your comments to it.

Until then...

You have the option of speeding it up somewhat. The offline is detected once the db connection times out. The default timeout is 30 seconds. You can move that down to say 5 seconds.

As for slow over vpn, have you tried the latest beta? It should be much faster when editing? You could set the "Force refresh before edit session" option to false. This will speed it up somewhat.

You have yet another option, you could configure the data source to prompt for offline mode on start. You could then decide to try to connect or not.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

We will try the suggestions.
I'm running 8.9.9.0, but just realised that in data source advanced settings caching was "simple". Will try intelligent now

Clock6 yrs

To double check your offline mode value you can use the File -> My Data Source Information screen and hover over the Offline Mode value. You will get a tool tip identifying the mode at each level (data source, data source settings & user)

OfflineMode

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

OfflineMode.jpg
Clock6 yrs

Uhhh.
Just realised I need to enable read/write offline mode for each user. THis is bad, is there a way to do that batched/change the default?

Clock6 yrs

Now playing with read/write a bit. Not much quicker. Where can I find this "Force refresh before edit session"?

Clock6 yrs

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?file_options_advanced.htm

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

There is not batch edit user for offline mode available.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

We already a request for batch edit user but I'm not sure if we will have the time to do that in the v9

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Ahh, without refresh this is *much* better

Clock6 yrs

A SQLish way to change the users would be fine as well, otherwise I don't see how I could do the upgrade

Clock6 yrs

You would need to make sure that every user has the AllowOfflineEdit set to true in the CustomSecurity field of the UserInfo table.

<AllowOfflineEdit>true</AllowOfflineEdit>

Now it the value is null, set it to this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<CustomSecurity>
<AllowOfflineEdit>true</AllowOfflineEdit>
</CustomSecurity>

If the value isn't null add/change the xml node.
edited by stefane on 8/15/2013

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs