Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Active Directory sync and fix fav list scrolling

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

It would be nice if RDM could be set up to sync with AD (maybe upon startup or on demand?). Not just to add new systems but to remove systems that no longer exists in AD. As a team, we have many regular changes in AD so someone could be delegated to update the RDM SQL data source weekly or something. Otherwise we need to make sure the entries get added (and removed) manually. Would be nice if we could also distinguish between workstations and servers on the import (not sure if you can at the moment - not at the office). :-)

Also, my favorites list is longer than my screen height (so I have to scroll). Thing is that when you scroll the favorite list and select one of the systems, it "refreshes" the list (I guess) and automatically returns the favorites list back to the home position. That's OK unless I have to scroll down the list again (and again, and again, etc.). Can the auto "refresh" of the favorites list be turned off? Or maybe change the position of the groups/systems in the favorites list (where they are displayed in the list).

Thanks in advance,
STGdb

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I already have an more intelligent import on my todo and I think that RDM could suggest you an action like Keep, Remove for those which are missing.

I have entered a bug request to make sure that the favorite scroll stay the same on refresh.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Thank you very much - I (we) appreciate your quick response. Great app!!!

Clock6 yrs

Just downloaded and testing the latest BETA. Good that it is available.

Can't wait to test the AD import ability. What would be helpful (if it isn't already there) would be if the AD import feature could maintaining the OU structure from AD (if the import can create sub-groups based on the OU structure). And if it sync's with AD then remove empty groups from RDM.

Clock6 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

I have entered a bug request to make sure that the favorite scroll stay the same on refresh.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you've had any luck in preventing the navigation pane window from scrolling (returning to the "home" position) automatically when an item is selected?

Thanks

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I did work on this on the last Sunday but without success. The only I thing I've been able to do is to make sure to keep the current selection visible. The list view does not allow us to save the scrollbar with the details view.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Oh well, I appreciate the effort in trying to address the issue. Maybe one day another change will fix this.

Thanks for the update and all the hard work!!!!
STGdb

Clock6 yrs

I have a thought. Rather than resolve the issue of the scrolling, is it possible to "move" and save the location of the folders/groups (up/down)? Right now, it sorts them in the Favorites based upon their order in the All Entries screen.

Thanks

Clock6 yrs

We will eventually change the component that we use for a tree view. With the tree view, the scroll will allow us to save the position. I'm also planning to make this view 100% customizable by the user but this won't be in the v9.0

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Dear David,
referring the component change for the treeview, I would really like if you could find an component which absolutly acts like windows by default. e.g. collapse and uncollaps with the arrow keys, highlight active item.

Clock6 yrs

I will verify if the current one could work with the arrow key

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Left, right, + & - keys now work as expected in the treeview, available in the next beta release.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

BTW yes, the arrow keys work great now.

With 9 released, I was just wondering if AD "synchronization" (or a more intelligent import) is still on the ToDo list - will be part of RDM 9 or will it be part of a release down the road (maybe RDM 10)?

Thanks

Clock6 yrs

This is still on the todo list but not for the next few week. However this could be included in the version 9.1 or 9.2

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Kewl - good luck and will look forward to future releases

Clock6 yrs

Yes, I totally agree on the Improved AD Import syncronization. I came from using Visionapp which had that feature, and also being able to exclude OU's from import, along with create the structure. I'm hoping they can do something like that.
STGdb wrote:

BTW yes, the arrow keys work great now.

With 9 released, I was just wondering if AD "synchronization" (or a more intelligent import) is still on the ToDo list - will be part of RDM 9 or will it be part of a release down the road (maybe RDM 10)?

Thanks

Clock5 yrs

Any update on when you might have a more selective way to import from active directory, like Visionapp had. Having so many servers, it's really hard to have to pick and choosefrom one list of everything. Plus then you don't know where they are coming fron either(OU). Having a selective import by OU would really be nice. Also ability to sync too.

Thanks
Bill

Clock5 yrs

I will take a look at that for the next major release.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

I will take a look at that for the next major release.

One other thing I noticed was that it looks at all PC's and servers. This is a huge problem, as we have many thousand PC's and I am only interested in servers, so either a filter, or a way I can select the OU's to Import, and or which to exclude. So the list to import is not 15000 opjects

Clock5 yrs

If there could be a list of OU's to include/exclude, that would be so useful working with AD. Especially if you couple that with a AD-sync feature (on startup, on demand, scheduled, etc.).

Clock5 yrs

My company would buy Remote Desktop Manager right now if there would be AD sync feature. Is it possible this feature will drop any time soon??

Clock5 yrs

Same here =)

Clock5 yrs

It's on our todo list but for now you have the AD import

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Sorry for asking but how this AD import works? Any guide for that perhaps?

Clock5 yrs

We have the documentation here:

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/file_importcomputerwizard.htm

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Any update on the AD Sync option yet? Time frame idea maybe?
This would really be a great addition to the product.

Thanks
Bill

Clock5 yrs

We something planned for the next major release. We hope to release a beta soon.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Looks like the next "major" release may be coming out soon. I'm not trying to commit you to anything but I was wondering whether the 9.4 BETA (I guess the release will be 9.5?) have synchronization with Active Directory? Or is that being planned for a 10.x inclusion?

Thanks

Clock5 yrs

The automatic sync framework is still in our roadmap. In fact, I should start to work on it next week.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

The automatic sync framework is still in our roadmap. In fact, I should start to work on it next week.

Hoping they will be some way to filter on either OU's or just server objects or something.
I don't want to have to pick and choose through all the objects, as I am only interested in the servers.

Clock5 yrs