Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Simple Challenge / Response instead of popup

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

we just had a significant issue because an engineer accidentally shutdown a live system. In order to prevent stuff like that from happening, I've configure a "Attention: Live System!" Popup in those sessions. But obviously this is just a popup with an "OK" Button, and people tend to click such away by reflex.

Any chance to add a option to have an input box there, that requires the user to really input something preset in order to proceed? I'm thinking of some similar process like in debians package manager, when you want to uninstall something really important:

You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'

Should be trivial to add, I think.

Other options would be to make conencting more a hassle, e.g. not storing the credentials, but I don't think that really gets the point.

regards
Alex

Clock6 yrs

Hi Alex,
How did he closed the server? Was it with remote shutdown or by opening an RDP session?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

He just loged in via RDP, opened our command and control center and clicked stop wink

Clock6 yrs

I have entered a feature request for that. Perhaps we could ask for a confirmation number or something like that. I in the meantime, I know that some people change the tab color to red or another one for the production machines.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Yeah, I just thought that we have a input box, where we can configure both its prompt and the "correct" answer.
Obvisouly that adds no security, it's just to make people aware what they are doing.

Clock6 yrs

I will add the possibility to add a passcode on connect. This could be as simple as OK. The message would be configurable. So it could be something like this:

To confirm the connection to this PRODUCTION server, type YES

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Brilliant!

Clock6 yrs

A comlpetely different suggestion:
We use BGInfo on our Servers, you could make a different Background Color for Productions systems.
Maybe your command and control center should have this feature. When somebody is working with multiple tabs, a message a t the conntection is useless anyway.

Clock6 yrs

Yeah, we do that BG stuff as well, but sometimes when you connect applicaitons are already full screen.
Also people usually shouldn't keep Operational tabs open

Clock6 yrs

Any ETA for that feature request?
I got some pressure to showcase that.
In case you need (financial) aid to implement, just let me know!

Clock6 yrs

I can't promise you a date but I think there's good chance that this will be available next week

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi David,

I got chased about this feature again. Any idea how this is prioritized at the moment?

regards
Alex

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I had to do some UI refactoring before but now it's done. André is assigned to work on this feature this week

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi David,

sorry for chasing you, but any news on this item?

regards
Alex

Clock6 yrs

This is already in the latest version. Take a look at the event section, you will see that you can now enter a code

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Brilliant! Works like a charm.
Looks like I need to rollout RDM 9 quickly wink

Clock6 yrs

RDM 9.0 RC will be released later today

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Brilliant. Will this be included in the Custom Installer Generation tool?

Clock6 yrs