Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Better support for tab titles

• Create an Issue

Tab titles are pretty much useless in its current implementation when you have two sessions of the same type. Say you have a connection Intern/server1/SSH and Intern/server2/SSH. Both sessions will display "SSH" on the tab title without any way to distinguish between.

Hovering over the tabs with the mouse only shows information when the dashboard tab is active (not when one of the SSH tabs is active). I know about the category and the color options (under More) but this is the wrong approach. I cannot manually categorize or color all my 190 connections - especially because I need the distinction only when two connections of the same kind are open.

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
You can add the group in the tab page:

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

6-23-2013 9-10-00 PM.png
Clock6 yrs

Interesting. Unfortunately that shows the /full path/ and not just the folder name it's in. So tab titles will get very long.

Clock6 yrs

What's your suggestion? What should we do?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Things that come to mind:

1. Option to show only the last folder in the tab (subfolder/session instead of folder/subfolder/session)

2. show group in tab title on a per session basis (option in session properties)

3. specify tab title in session properties (tab title != session name)

4. rename tab title of session for an existing session and apply without re-starting session

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

I agree with thorsten. Why is it not possible to rename a tab on the fly?
I had this feature in Putty Connection Manager few years ago.

Remote Desktop Manager is more evolved, but this feature would be useful and interesting (example: launch of several ssh connections to the same server, now indistinguishable).

Have a good day,
Yannick

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I already have added to our todo list the possibility to rename a tab entry

Thank you for your support

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

I have exactly the same "problem" as OP. Has been this implemented? I can't find a way to achieve this (newest RDM).

I have this kind of structure: name [RDM object type]:
Country [Group/Folder] / Site [Site] / ServerName [Server] / Server administration [RDP connection]

When I open server administration connection (multiple) then I have multiple tabs with "Server administration" title. I can hoover on tabs to search particular server but its time consuming and annoying.

Is it possible to add some variables or something to see tabs titles in form:
"ServerName - Server administration"?

I can't use $COMPUTER_HOST$ variable from Server object because I use FQDN there.
edited by Bin on 5/14/2015

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
Have you tried to use a custom field as a variable?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

Not sure how to add this custom field to be visible only in Tabs Title (or maybe you mean to add server name automatically to every subentry? if it is not possible for Tabs Titles then it could be some workaround)

This is example of my tree:
http://i.imgur.com/n5IHcAu.png

How can I inherit name from "Server" object?

What do you mean by custom field variable...?

I have added test value in "Server" object custom field:
http://i.imgur.com/LbNVeKb.png

and then added in entry title:
http://i.imgur.com/LAWAVze.png

but there is no effect, entry name is not changed.

Clock4 yrs

Could you post a print screen of the tab title you get with the variable?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

My Tab title is just like ordinary title without any variable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Could you post here what should I do step by step to user variable in Tab Title?

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
Have you changed this property?

TabTitle

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

TabTitle.png
Clock4 yrs

Hi,

I missed this configuration section in manual. Thank you very much for the picture tip and your help. It works great now! Exactly what I need!

Clock4 yrs