Forum / Password Vault Manager - Support

New install - how to add SQL datasource

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi!

We are rolling out PVM on a site license. Software is installed by GPO and at this point it seems I have to manually configure the data source (SQL) or import it. However, on a fresh install I cant add a SQL data source on the standard license in trial mode. It just says I have to have enterprise. Fair enough! But I've entered the serial in the data source.

Unless I'm doing it all wrong, I'd like to request a feature to Check the SQL data source for a valid serial before denying it. That goes for both manual and imported data sources.

Of cause, the point is I do not want to distribute the serial and have it manually entered before the correct data source is configured.

We have already rolled out RDM, but I don't know if the "issue" exist there. If it does, the feature request is valid for RDM as well.

BR
\\ Andraes

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
We have resolved this issue with Remote Desktop Manager because RDM now start in trial mode and it allow you to connect to the SQL Server. I think that your post just convinced me that we should do it for PVM as well. Do you think this will help you?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
In the meantime, you could push a default configuration (passwordvaultmanager.cfg) in the folder %LocalAppData%\Devolutions\RemoteDesktopManager

All you need is to save the license in one configuration file and deploy it when it does not exist.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

I don't think it will help me, but it might help others in the future. Actually your proposed workaround was even better and allowed me to automate the whole process including a few custom settings and data source!

Currently I distribute PVM with a GPO and added the script below to the logon script. The script will copy the .cfg to the local computer if the file does not exist or it's smaller than 20k (default file is 16k and my config is 28k). It will also create the target directory if it doesn't exist (program installed but never started).

However, I have another feature request. Move parts (or mast) of the settings in the option dialog to the data source settings. Like the security tab but also most of the other tabs except keyboard. Maybe with the abillity to let the user override certain settings or not. This will move the software from user managed to central administrator managed. Witch make sense with regards to what kind of information the software handles.

Also different options for 2 factor auth. One type of settings for online and the ability to set tighter timeouts for offline use.

Here's my script if anyone like to reuse

Dim fileobject
Dim filepath0
Dim filepath1
Dim filepath2

Dim copy

Set wshShell = CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" )
Set fileobject = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

filepath0 = wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings( "%LOCALAPPDATA%" ) & "\Devolutions\PasswordVaultManager\"
filepath1 = filepath0 & "PasswordVaultManager.cfg"
filepath2 = "\\server.fqdn\share\PasswordVaultManager.cfg"

If not fileobject.FolderExists(filepath0) Then
fileobject.CreateFolder (filepath0)
End If

copy = true

If fileobject.FileExists(filepath1) Then
If fileobject.GetFile(filepath1).Size >= 20000 Then
copy = false
End If
End If

If copy And fileobject.FileExists(filepath2) Then
Call fileobject.CopyFile(filepath2, filepath1)
End If

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
Thank you for the script and also the suggestion. We were already thinking about splitting the config and you just gave us more arguments.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs