Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Authentication Issues - AD/SQL

Hi there

I am trying to set up RDM with an SQL database source but having trouble connecting to the SQL database from a standard Windows user account.

When starting the program as a domain admin and checking 'Integrated security (Active Directory)' it connects to the database.

When starting the program as my local user account and filling in the same domain admin details but manually it throws up an error 'Unable to connect to the server!' Login failed for user ...

I am bit baffled as to why this is not working correctly, is there any logging I can check or can you point me in the right direction?
edited by Will_3rd on 5/28/2013

Clock6 yrs

You can't pass credentials to SQL Server when specifying "Integrated security" it will use the currently logged on user under the hood.

This is not our limitation, the same can be said for any tool opening a SQL Server connection. Try with Microsoft SQL Sever Management Studio (SSMS) either you specify a SQL (not domain) user/password or us integrated security.

A possible work around is to run RDM as the domain admin, follow the steps here

Regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

You could also try to run RDM as another user:

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/tipsandtricks_runas_rdm.htm

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Run as using admin details with 'Integrated Security' works but with the same details with it unticked it will not connect to the database.

This will work for some of our users who have domain admin accounts but we plan on rolling this out to all our users most of whom are standard users.

Is there a better shared data source we can use or set permissions on the database itself for every user AD user?

Many Thanks,

Will

Clock6 yrs

The standard users are domain users or local machine users?

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

The standard users are domain users with no admin privileges.

Clock6 yrs

First some back ground information. Domain admins are also SQL Server admins and therefore RDM Admins.

How do we go about configuring users in RDM.

• On a domain admin machine, start RDM and create a SQL Server Data Source, check “Integrated Security”, save and close. (Img1)
• Connect to the data source
• Administration -> Users
• Add a new none admin user (call him Bob) and give it some access rights (in this case I gave full control to Dev) (Img2 & Img3)
• Now connect as that user. Use a different machine, a different session on your machine or use the /netonly run-as method within your session.
• Now in this RDM running as Bob, create a new SQL Server data source with the exact same settings are your data source, “Integrated Security”
• Open the data source, Bob can only access the sessions for which he has been granted access.

Does that clear things up? I’m working on updating the help file to include this step by step guide.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Img3.jpg
Img2.jpg
Img1.jpg
Clock6 yrs

I've added a step-by-step guide:

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?tipsandtricks_sqlserverdatasourcewithintegratedsecurity.htm

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs