Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Switching from XML data source to SQLite

I would like to change the format of my existing XML based data source to SQLite format. One advantage - I think - is that it would allow me to embed files in the database. Is changing the format from XML to SQLITE possible and what would be the procedure?

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
it's very simple. Maurice did a tutorial about that:

http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/tipsandtricks_data_migration.htm

Let me know if something is unclear

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Yup, I already found that myself shortly after posting the question. The export/import is pretty straight forward but it's a bit trial and error because of the complete lack of documentation.

I had problems protecting the SQLite database with a password. With the XML database you just set a master key (although the "always ask master key" in the settings of the data source doesn't have any apparent effect).

With SQLite you have to change the security provider, then set "requires password" but not "save password" and then not enter the password into the password field but set it via change password. Very, very confusing, indeed.

What I would really be interested in is if SQLite instead of XML will have performance and stability (no data corruption) advantages. I have my data sources on a USB3 thumb drive on exFAT (as well as RDM itself). The XML file is 770 KB and the SQLite database 2MB...

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I will verify with Stefane. I'm pretty sure we can simplify that process without the security provider.

For the size, it's normal since the structure is different (indexes and extra table). However in a near future, SQLite will be the new default data source format.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I completely agree with you, the first iteration of the SQLite password implementation was very confusing.

We’ve stream lined it in an internal build but it has yet to make it into the beta release (as of 8.2.16). I will try to merge that into beta branch early next week. I will keep you posted.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

The beta is available here:
http://download.devolutions.net/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.8.2.17.0.zip

Let us know what you think. The behaviour almost like the XML Data Source. When you create the data source you can specify the password. Once configured use the View -> Manage Password to change/delete the password for the data source.

The documentation has not been updated. I will do that shortly.

Img1
Menu

Img2
Data source configuration

Regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Img2.jpg
Img1.jpg
Clock6 yrs

Beta 17 changes all entries to read-only. Nice one... :-/

Clock6 yrs

looking into it

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I'm not able to reproduce. Could you please send me a screen shot of your data source configuration and RDM's navigation pane?

Thanks

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Done

navagation pane.png
data sources.png
Clock6 yrs

Could you please creating a new SQLite data source to see if that works?

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Creating a new SQLite data source works. Creating and deleting entries also - even when it's password protected.

So I'm off to exporting all my entries in Beta 16 and importing them in Beta 17?!?

Clock6 yrs

Export-import might be your fastest option at this point.

I'm trying to figure how/why you would be read-only mode, figuring it out might take time.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Did that and it deleting works afterwards. I noticed that with the new beta 17 all changes under File > Administration > Data Source Settings > General are not saved. Any change on that tab (unchecking "Allow offline mode", "Allow user specific settings", etc. are lost when clicking OK and re-opening the settings.

Clock6 yrs

Good to here that edit/deletes now work. I will have a look at the Data Source Settings issue.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Data Source Settings should not be visible/enabled when using the SQLite Data Source, the change has been done annd will be in the next beta release.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs