Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - AddOns

Shrew Soft VPN Addon

Background: I am running RDM version 5.7.1.0 and I have added the ShrewSoft VPN Client addon. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. I am also running the 64 bit shrew soft vpn client version 2.1.5.

If I create a new VPN setup in RDM and select an existing shrew soft vpn profile and also try to include a username and password, I get the following error:

invalid parameters specified...
ipsecc -r "name" [-u <name>][-p <pass>][-a]
-r site configuration name
-u connection user name
-p connection user password
-a auto connect

If I go ahead and then enter my username and password in the shrew soft vpn connect screen that shows the error above I then get an error that says:

ipsecc.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I also have a separate VPN profile that does not require a username and password and it works fine.

I have attached a couple of printscreens.

-Go0se

Shrew-Soft-Error-2.jpg
Shrew-Soft-Error-1.jpg
Clock9 yrs

go0se,

Thanks for reporting the issue. I will look into it later tonight when I have access to my development machine.

Clock9 yrs

I'm pretty sure the issue has to do with connection names with spaces. I tested and they weren't being passed to the command line properly, but this is now fixed. Could you give this build a try?

ShrewSoftVPNAddOn 1.0.0.2

Clock9 yrs

That fixed it!

Thanks!

Go0se

Clock9 yrs

I have a bug to report, but I'm not sure whether it's a bug in the Shrew Soft VPN addon, or RDM itself. I'm running Windows 7 x64, with the latest 64-bit version of the Shrew Soft VPN client. When I configure an RDP connection to activate a VPN through Shrew Soft, it brings up the tunnel okay, but it appears like it tries to connect to the computer on the end before the tunnel is fully up, and it won't connect. If I set it so that it doesn't automatically disconnect the VPN, and try connecting again immediately after it fails the first time, then it goes through, so I know the VPN tunnel is working. Is there any way you can put a sleep timer in there so that RDM won't attempt the RDP connection so quickly after the Shrew Soft connection activates?

Clock9 yrs

Hello ivorycruncher,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. In testing I can see why you are seeing this issue. The ShrewSoft VPN AddOn doesn't have a wait time built in, which means if the VPN connection is configured inside of your other session it will never wait. I will be adding wait times to my VPN addons, but in the meantime there's a workaround. Add your VPN connection as a separate session from your other remote session, you can then select it from the Existing Session option on the VPN tab in the remote session. The Existing Session option does apply a wait time to any connection that is selected.

Clock9 yrs

Is there anyway to add a short delay between when the connection is made with the VPN client and the attempt made by the Remote Desktop Session?

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
Win 7 64 bit, shrew newest 2.1.7 64 bit, newest shrew plugin 1.0.02 .
My VPN password ends with " . Is that a problem? I connect with RDM, invalid credentials, then paste into shrew windows which opens password again, I can connect fine.
I guess " is the problem right? Can you fix it please?

regards

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
We don't have any answer from Jason (original author), I will see what I can do

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi,

Could you try to simply double the " in your password?
The password is sent in a command line within quotes, it should solve your problem.

If so, I will adapt the code to handle this situation.

Regards

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
If I put another " , he does not try to connect, GUI client opens and waits. If I remove and leave just " he connects but fails.
Any more tips or to go and write mail to change my password. btw. I could swore that worked fine at some point....

edit: I played with command line and cannot make it work either ... hmmm, I guess I will need to ask to change this password...

tnx
<em>edited by Stepback on 2/28/2012</em>

Clock7 yrs

Hi - the links below for the Shrewsoft Plugins appear offline. Can anyone share or provide a good link?

Cheers
Iain

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
It works fine for me:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/download/AddOn/ShrewSoftVPN1.0.0.2.zip

Have you tried the Add-on Manager?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

that link works, i was trying one from further up the thread. I've got the shrewsoft plugin running now.

Thanks!
Iain

Clock6 yrs

iainb wrote:

that link works, i was trying one from further up the thread. I've got the shrewsoft plugin running now.

Thanks!
Iain

Hi Iain,

I have been trying to use set up our ShrewSoft client with RDM. I am struggling with this. I hope you can help me or suggest me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nirali

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

the credential support dousn't work, it would be nice when it works.

http://forum.devolutions.net/topic2566-anyconnect-cant-use-macro-with-variables.aspx

thank you

Clock6 yrs

The add-on look for the profile list in this registry key

[CurrentUser]
Software\ShrewSoft\vpn\site

Do you know if your profile are stored there?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

No. This key is empty.

Clock6 yrs

Can you verify if it's stored somewhere else?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

In registry I didnt found anything. I found config file in my profile ...\AppData\Local\Shrew Soft VPN\sites

Clock6 yrs

Perhaps they have changed the way they store the site list. Is it a file for each profile?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

What is the file extension? Perhaps we could list both places.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Great! Thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
Could you give it a try to the new release of this Add-on (v2.1) ?
It has been adapted to be compatible with current and previous version of Shrew Soft VPN.
It has been tested but of course real data with real people is the true test.
Regards,

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi. I try it, and works perfectly.
I have only 2 little notes. smile

1. Is it possible to start shrewsoft client minimalized ?
2. When I try to modify stored connection info (change password) from computer where isnt shrewsoft client instaled, setting cannot be saved (error uploading profile)

But both are only cosmetical "problems" smile

Clock6 yrs

Hi,

1. Is it possible to start shrewsoft client minimalized ?
Now yes smile !

2. When I try to modify stored connection info (change password) from computer where isnt shrewsoft client instaled, setting cannot be saved (error uploading profile)
Fixed smile !

Best regards,

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi
We are using RDM 7.6.1.0
I'm trying to upgrade Shrewsoft Addon 1.0.02 to 2.1.1.0
After the installation dialog finishes its requesting me to do a restart of RDM.
I restart RDM.
Same Shrew Soft Addon installation dialog appears again requesting restart and again, and again....
This is an error.

What I need in the Shrewsoft addon is that it honors the after execute wait specified in the vpn session entry. Now it seems to use default 30 seconds always.
This is a request.

Best Regards
Magnus Pettersson
Bedege AB

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
The Shrew Soft Add-on version 2.1.1.0 requires at least RDM 8.1.0.0

Best regards,

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi
Then I'd expect a warning in the addon manager.
How can I download addon versions compatible with our RDM 7.6.1.0?

/Magnus

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I recompiled this add-on with less new features to allow you to use it.
It is now compatible with RDM 7.6 version and it's the 2.1.1.0A version. It still will be showed as 2.1.1.0 in RDM.
Removed features are the compatibility with batch edit and clipboard manipulation for host, password and username. New Shrew Soft VPN specific features are all there.

Just copy the new add-on in %LOCALAPPDATA%\devolutions\RemoteDesktopManager

Best regards,
edited by asanscartier on 6/17/2013

André Sanscartier

signaturesignature

ShrewSoftVPN2.1.1.0A.zip
Clock6 yrs