Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

Restricting Remote connections to RDM only

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Is there anyway that i can force my people to use RDM to launch Remote desktop to connect to servers instead of manually clicking on the Microsoft default Remote desktop connection client? I depend on RDM's auditing function to watch if and who logs in with Administrator username.

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
As for as I know, the only solution is to hide them the password to force them to use the one in RDM. There is no other solution that I'm aware.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Thanks David... just thought of something.

This will work if we change the RDP port in RDM to something obscure, then only allow this port on all servers as the RDP port. Then hide the port value in RDM from anybody that is not part of the Administrators group.

This way (unless you can guess or sniff the net) you are forced to use RDM as your server connectivity tool, enforcing the audit of all connections made to servers...

Clock7 yrs

Hi,
This could be something possible. I will have to verify if the port is shown in the url.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

Just disallow mstsc using the group policies.

Clock7 yrs

Xanacas, unfortunately that would disable RDP in general. I believe that RDM still uses mstsc as a connection method to windows systems. I still need RDP access to servers... only i need to restrict it to RDP launched from RDM.

Clock7 yrs

We use it only in external mode. We use the ActiveX in embedded mode.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 yrs

ah... unfortunately each Admin has 3-4 monitors and regularly have them distributed across each of them. I don't think RDM can handle that... I will however have them test out using it in embedded mode. Can we force Display=Embedded in the RDM interface (and not let the user change it?)

Clock7 yrs

using templates and the full screen mode (not external) should work for all scenarios

Clock7 yrs