Forum / Wayk Now - Feature Request

Update Wayk Now without being redirected to the website download.

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

With the last update coming out on Wayk Now i've lost connection to some of my unattended servers i set up in our RDM , So I had no access to the server at that moment which means the I could not work on them.

Luckily I still got another program called GoToAssist where the unattended server was running and gained access through there, but in the feature we will not be able to gain access through there cause we are changing from GoToAssist to Wayk Now because this can be implemented in RDM. So i updated to the latest version through the website download and the connection was reastablished and ready to go and the problem was solved for now.

The second problem i ran in to was when I wanted to prevent to lose the connection through Wayk I started connecting to the other server's/customers through Wayk and updated them like previously explained, but when i started the installation everything went fine until the moment the service was stopped by the installation but not restarded immediatly after and I lost connection.

So yet again I needed to gain access through our GoToAssist en click the finish button at the very last screen of the wizard to complete the installation and regain access through Wayk.

The problem now is I needed to do this through the website download and reinstall the application and lose connection to them and not regain connection without going through the trouble of connecting from our other application and finish it there.

Is it possible to make the Wayk Now application update itself on start-up and restart the services without losing connection.
My second idea is to put an update button on the taskbar of Wayk Now or update button in the option menu where you can update it and it does a quick restart of the services so we lose our connection temporarly and regain access after like couple seconds/minutes.

This can be a big problem for connecting to customers that are not nearby cause that would mean we need to call them to explain the situation and ask them to do it manualy on the machine itself, Or we need to do an intervention just to push the update and would consume a lot of time.

Best Regards,

Clock7 days

Hello

Firstly, I apologize for the inconvenience caused by losing connection to some of your servers. This is something that we try our hardest to avoid and such issues are given a high priority internally.

It's concerning that this occurred after updating Wayk Now, and I'd like to understand the reason for that. Was the issue that you updated Wayk Now or RDM locally, and then couldn't connect to some remote machines? Do you know what version you updated from locally? Do you know what version of Wayk Now was on the remote machines before you updated? Presumably in both cases you updated to the latest available version. If you are not sure, the log file %programdata%\wayk\logs\nowservice.log could provide us some insight, if you have it available from any of the affected machines.

With regard to automating and remotely updating Wayk Now, this is an area that we've already started making improvements (and there are further improvements to follow).

As you discovered, if you trigger the .msi remotely, the service component could be stopped and terminate your connection before completing the install, leaving you unable to reconnect to the machine.

If you are comfortable using PowerShell, we have a module for Wayk Now available here. With recent versions of Wayk Now, it's also included in the installer and should be available in %programfiles%\Devolutions\Wayk Now\PowerShell. The command `Install-WaykNow` can be used to update Wayk Now. The installation will be run non-interactively (that is, there will be no wizard or user interaction required) and once complete, the application state will be restored. I would encourage you to take a look at the documentation and let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

Is it possible to make the Wayk Now application update itself on start-up and restart the services without losing connection. My second idea is to put an update button on the taskbar of Wayk Now or update button in the option menu where you can update it and it does a quick restart of the services so we lose our connection temporarly and regain access after like couple seconds/minutes.

Since Wayk Now 2020.1.2, when WaykNow.exe starts it will (by default) check for an updated version and offer the user to install the update. If the prompt is accepted, the PowerShell module is used under-the-hood to quietly perform the update and restore the application state.

It will be straightforward to add this as an option in the UI to allow the user to trigger the update at any time, and I will bring that up with the team here.

In terms of fully automating the update; this is on our immediate roadmap and the logic will be baked into the service component itself rather than running in application startup. This allows us to wait for idle times and only perform the update at an opportune time. I don't have an exact timeline for that functionality, but I will post back here once I have an update on that.

If you do trigger an update remotely, right now you have to manually retry the connection after a short time as there is no capability to automatically reconnect. It's likely that such functionality would be integrated inside RDM rather than Wayk Now itself, and we will keep the suggestion in mind.

This can be a big problem for connecting to customers that are not nearby cause that would mean we need to call them to explain the situation and ask them to do it manualy on the machine itself, Or we need to do an intervention just to push the update and would consume a lot of time.

We do understand the concern here. Hopefully the above information is helpful but please reply back with any further questions or feedback.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock7 days

Hello again

Just a quick follow-up to add that I tested remote updating a Wayk Now installation while connected using the `Update-WaykNow` function of the PowerShell module, and it works well.

The Enterprise version of Wayk Now allows executing scripts on the remote system directly, but updating remotely won't work in a lot of cases (because the script is executed as the current user; while running the .msi needs administrative privileges). We are investigating ways to add "run as" support to this functionality, which could become the basis of a simple menu or action to update the remote system.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock7 days

"Was the issue that you updated Wayk Now or RDM locally, and then couldn't connect to some remote machines? "

First I updated Wayk Now locally because there was a notification. Then with the update in the back of my mind I started connecting to the other servers/clients so I could update them but then was the moment i run in to the problem explained previously. So I think the problem is losing connection over time to the den if you don't update Wayk Now.

"Do you know what version you updated from locally?

Do you know what version of Wayk Now was on the remote machines before you updated? Presumably in both cases you updated to the latest available version."

I updated from Wayk Now version 2020.1.2 to version 2020.1.3 on my pc locally and this is an Enterprise Edition, RDM was up to date at that moment.

On the Servers/Clients i also needed to update from the version 2020.1.1 to 2020.1.3 these are free versions of the Wayk Now.

I will definetly take a look at the powershell module and try this out on the machines.

thanks for the quick respons and i happily follow this up to the feature so i will be up to date!

Thanks and kind regards,

Clock4 days