Forum / Wayk Now - Support

den-id: change

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I wasn't able connect to computer.. now I realized why... ID was changed... why?

Something specific was changed at yours infrastructure at 2020-01-08?

Some logs included.

--
KriS

NowService17.log
Clock2 mths

Hello

I am not aware of any infrastructure changes or issues on that date, but I will check with the team responsible for managing Wayk Den. We will investigate the reason for the ID change - do you know the previous ID that was assigned?

We are sorry for the inconvenience and we work hard to prevent Wayk IDs from changing, but it can always remain a possibility.

For unattended access - especially in cases where it may not be easy to read the Wayk ID from the machine - it is recommended to bookmark the unique ID instead or as well.

You can find the machine's unique ID in the "About" window of the Wayk Now client, or by using the `Get-WaykNowUniqueID`function from WaykNow-Ps. This will become even easier in the next release as we will ship the PowerShell module alongside the application when installed with the .msi.

You can use the unique ID to create a bookmark for that machine; and it will automatically locate the current Wayk ID.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

old den-id: 441193 (I hold it for 8-9 months)
new den-id: 120218

That's why I attached logs wink

So Wayk ID sometimes can change, but unique ID is always the same? It's not change at all?

WaykNow-Ps will be added to installer? Great idea. My customer don't like when I wanna install any other software and when it will be included it will be great. It's resolve my problem with automated update.

--
KriS

Clock2 mths

Hello again

The log file doesn't contain the old ID, it's truncated starting from 2020-01-08 15:31:01 and the ID is only logged after establishing a Wayk Den connection. It's great that you still have it however and I will pass that on to the Wayk Den team to see if they can establish something from their side.

For the unique ID: when you start Wayk Now the first time, it generates a UUID and stores it to disk (either %appdata% or %programdata%, depending on whether it is the client application or the service). Next, every time we connect to Wayk Den, we register the currently assigned 6-digit Wayk ID in our key-value service using the UUID as a key. So from the client-side, a bookmark using the unique ID will query the key-value service directly for the current (or at least, last known) Wayk ID.

As long as the .unique file is not deleted from disk, it will remain current. The key-value service is very simple and very robust (it is actually open source, if you are interested).

And yes, the next release should add WaykNow-Ps to the installer. It gets deployed into %programfiles%\devolutions\wayk now\powershell\modules\wayknow. That should be part of 2020.1.1, which will hopefully be released by this time next week.

Let me know if you have any further questions or feedback

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Line 85: Den-Id: 441193
Line 101: den-id: 441193
Line 213: den-id: 120218
Line 341: Den-Id: 120218
Line 357: den-id: 120218
Line 447: Den-Id: 120218
Line 463: den-id: 120218

I intentional found logs when is switched for better diagnose, if you can find something interesting in it

Clock2 mths

Hello

My apologies, you are quite right.

When Wayk Now registers with Wayk Den, it receives back an ID and also a registration token. The token is a UUID that is used to persist the same registration on future connections (so you retain the same Wayk ID).

I can see that when your machine reconnected to Wayk Den at 19:22:21, it did not pass the registration token - this is why it was assigned a new Wayk ID.

It's not possible that the token wasn't saved; because you held the previous ID for a long time.

We will investigate the root cause of that and reply back in this thread with our findings.

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Im looking at my event logs and found this:

The previous system shutdown at 18:29:26 on 08/01/2020 was unexpected.

My son restart computer and before it fully start, he push reset button again and it start again.

If I well remember I found computer with window 10 startup menu, where I should choice start windows normally, or last good know config. ( I choice start normally and everything was fine)

When I compared it with nowservice log we can see this:

2020-01-08 18:29:41 NowService::service [INFO] - Source ID: 441193

2020-01-08 19:22:21 common::logging [DEBUG] - << Response (peerId: 0x1405A795, callId: 0):
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
access-control-allow-origin: *
den-id: 120218

So maybe, that .unique file what did you mention before, was open for a moment, but not close properly, because system restart and that's why it's generate new one.

Clock2 mths

Hello again

Thanks for the information.

Indeed, the log file ends abruptly at 18:29:41. Just before that, we see this line:

> 2020-01-08 18:29:40 common::logging [DEBUG] - Identity after Register 441193 (7f68c8fe-0aa7-49c8-9ef6-ec0fa55f17e1)

This tells us that the machine is registered with Wayk Den with ID 441193 and the associated registration token. The very next line in the code formats this into JSON and saves it to a file. As you suppose, given your logs, it seems highly likely that we had this file open and perhaps partially written to disk when the system was reset.

We don't log errors when reading that file back, but the fact that the ID and registration were not used on the subsequent registration tells us that they couldn't be read from disk (the file must've been incomplete or otherwise corrupted).

Sorry again for the inconvenience, and thank you for your help investigating the issue. I'm happy that this appears to be a straightforward resolution. From our side, we will look at how we can improve robustness here (for example, if the information in the file is unchanged we do not need to rewrite it; perhaps the file could be otherwise journaled).

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello again

A quick follow-up: we've implemented a mitigation for this whereby the Den registration is only updated on disk if it changed. I believe you were extremely unlucky in this case, but the changes will prevent this occurring in future. I'm afraid the change likely won't be the next release, but probably the one after that.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

I use wayknow longer then one year, and only few times I did notice ID change, but I read at forum that sometimes it's happen...
I've hope it was one of the issue and maybe it will help another too smile

Clock2 mths