Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

RDM tab loses focus and activates another tab I'm connected to

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

This has been driving me absolutely bonkers! I'll be connected and typing some commands in one tab (a Windows server) and all of a sudden it switches to another tab I'm connected to and I'll be typing the rest of the commands there (the wrong server!). This is so dangerous, especially if you're working on identical windows versions and have the same command prompt window open on both servers.

How can I stop this? I hope this isn't a feature and if it is it should certainly NOT be by default.

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Would it be possible for you to go under File -> Options -> Advanced -> Other Options and check "Use manual activate tab"? Doing so should prevent the focus from moving to another tab:
ManualActivateTab

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

ManualActivateTab.png
Clock2 mths

Thanks. I won't know if it actually works for a day or so because it's totally random. But assuming this solves my problem, I would certainly advise having this option unchecked by default in future updates. I often have lots of tabs open and I don't always stare at the tab I'm working on. If it automatically switches focus to another tab and I don't notice before typing some bat or ps1 command I could get myself in a lot of trouble.

Clock2 mths

I came in this morning, started connecting to a server and boom it changed focus to another tab. Needless to say that option didn't work.

What else can I try?

Clock2 mths

Hello,

In that case, I suspect that the focus changes from one tab to another because you must be selecting another entry from your Navigation Pane, in doing so, the focus is moved to that tab if the session is already opened. This behavior is caused by the option called "Auto focus tab on item select".

For this reason, I would recommend unchecking this option as well. It is located under File -> Options -> User Interface -> Tree View:
AutoFocuTab

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

AutoFocuTab.png
Clock2 mths

That would make sense if the session was already opened except that it wasn't. I connected successfully and started navigating some menus in that rdp session before it kicked me out into another tab (the session I was working in did not disconnect or close). So I had to click back to it to continue doing what I started.

In any case I've unchecked the option you suggested anyway and I'll write again if the issue persists. Thanks for your help so far.

Clock2 mths

Unfortunately it's still a problem. It looks like now it changes focus to a tab that's connecting or reconnecting. Is there another option I need to check or uncheck to prevent this?

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Unfortunately, at this time, I cannot think of another option that could affect this behavior. That being said, would it be possible for you to record this behavior and send it to us? If so, please send an email to ticket@devolutions.net , I will then be able to provide you a secure link to provide us this recording.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hmm, that would mean I'd have to record private data wouldn't it? Also, the file could be huge since it can take hours or days before it switches me to another tab.

Besides, if I record my session wouldn't it just record the tab I'm in or does it record all sessions even after switch tabs?

Clock2 mths

Hello,

The recording I requested would have been of your Desktop, not only the tab you are working on. That said, I understand that this might not be an option for you since the issue is not reproducible and can occur at random times.

That being said, are you the only one to experience this issue? Also, which version of RDM and what type of Data Source are you currently using? Is it the Free or the Enterprise Edition?

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths