Forum / Remote Desktop Manager IOS - Feature Request

Support for Azure SQL

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

in an effort to reduce our on-premises footprint we've recently switched from a Devolutions Server to Azure SQL as datasource. Unfortunately this means the iOS is no longer usable. Can you add support for Azure SQL as a datasource to iOS (with Active Directory Interactive / MFA support for authentication)?

Thanks!

Clock2 mths

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not possible for us because the Microsoft framework we use for the iOS app has stopped supporting Integrated Security, which is required by Azure SQL. We do not know when or if the feature will be restored on the framework, and we do not have the manpower to implement this feature ourselves.

The two workarounds for this problem are either to use custom users on the SQL data source, or to switch to a DPS data source altogether. Our support team can help you implement either of those solutions should you choose to use them.

I apologize for this less than ideal state of affairs.

Best Regards,

Benoît Racine

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi Bracine,

thanks for the quick answer. I'll look into these options. I could use the SQL data source for an Azure SQL as long as I have 'sql users' for authentication, right?
We just switched away from DPS so I don't really like going back to that. Maybe a devolutions online database might be an option (we used that before DPS) although I think that would still leave us without 2-factor on datasource level, right?

Just out of curiosity: what Microsoft framework are you using?

Thanks!

Clock2 mths

Hi,

I've discussed this with a colleague and it may be possible for us to implement Azure Interactive Authentication on iOS. This mode was recently added on Windows and might be something we can do on iOS also. We will investigate this in the new year.

I could use the SQL data source for an Azure SQL as long as I have 'sql users' for authentication, right?

Yes, 'Sql users' should work with SQL Azure.

Maybe a devolutions online database might be an option (we used that before DPS) although I think that would still leave us without 2-factor on datasource level, right?

Correct, you can place 2-Factor on a Devolutions Online Database but it will be tied to each individual device, it won't be on data source level.

Just out of curiosity: what Microsoft framework are you using?

We use Xamarin to develop the iOS, Android and Mac apps for RDM.

Best Regards,

Benoît Racine

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths