Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

RDM may crash after updating to Windows 10 Insider Preview 19536

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

@Everyone,

After updating Windows 10 Insider Preview to version 19536, it may be possible that you encounter an error with RDM after opening more than one RDP session.

Faulting application name: RemoteDesktopManager64.exe, version: 2019.2.22.0, time stamp: 0x5deeab95
Faulting module name: mstscax.dll, version: 10.0.19536.1000, time stamp: 0x558ca851
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000001b21
Faulting process id: 0x1928
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5b4f808f6b9f1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Devolutions\Remote Desktop Manager\RemoteDesktopManager64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mstscax.dll
Report Id: c86e0218-ee4d-4887-a6bb-df90cbcfa59a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The same issue is encountered inside RDC Manager from Microsoft
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=44989

It seems to be an issue associated with the Microsoft ActiveX used to open RDP session in embedded mode.

As a workaround, you can launch your session in External mode or switch your RDP engine to FreeRDP. To do so, go in File -> Options -> Types -> RDP and select RDP (FreeRDP Latest) as the RDP Engine.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais
signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Awesome! Thanks for the quick post/update on this.

Hopefully MS fixes this before they break for the holidays.

Clock3 mths

Good evening!
Changing to FreeRDP Latest will stop Clipboard and Shift from working on the right side of the keyboard.

Clock2 mths

Hello Antonio,

What version of RDM are you running?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais
signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,
Already tried FreeRDP Latest, if I use 5.0 it works, but trying to open more than one session gives the error of mstscax.dll.

Is there a fix for this yet?

Clock2 mths

Hi Antonio,

Could you please elaborate on how the clipboard and right shift key are not working?
I did some tests but couldn't come up with a scenario that would be those features.

Regards

Jonathan Lafontaine

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Using RDP Lastest or FreeRDP Latest version, right shift and clipboard do not work.
Changing to version 5.0 works but does not open more than one session (two servers).

Clock2 mths

I'm suprised.

RDP Lastest uses the microsoft's ActiveX, same one used in RDC Manager.
FreeRDP Lastest uses an open source implementation of the RDP protocol.

If both are having problems with the shift key and clipboard, my guess would be the problem is the remote server.
Do you have access to other software, likle RDM Manager to test your issues outside of RDM?

Jonathan Lafontaine

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Error displayed:

Failed Application Name: RemoteDesktopManagerFree.exe, Version: 2019.2.21.0, Timestamp: 0x5de6c972
Failed Module Name: mstscax.dll, Version: 10.0.19536.1000, Timestamp: 0x558ca851
Exception Code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000001b21
Failed Process ID: 0x59b0
Failed application start time: 0x01d5c49a0abf169d
Failed Application Path: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Devolutions \ Remote Desktop Manager Free \ RemoteDesktopManagerFree.exe
Failed module path: C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ mstscax.dll
Report ID: cae85ea1-9f12-40c6-9a4e-47d7a1758058
Failed Package Full Name:
Failed Package Application ID:

Clock2 mths

I've run into the same issue when using FreeRDP, the right Shift key does not get passed to the RDP session. Makes it real hard to type, when you need a capital letter that you typical use the right shift for...

Ultimately I dropped FreeRDP, and shifted to launching everything externally until this issue is resolved. It isn't the best solution, but its more functional than all the other options.

Clock2 mths

Are you, by any chance, using a keyboard layout other than US?

Jonathan Lafontaine

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

No I'm not.

Clock2 mths

Yes, i am.
Pt-Br.

Clock2 mths

I will try a Pt-Br layout.
But on our device running the preview build and a US layout, right shift does work.
I only tried in notepad however. Are your shift problems system wide?

Jonathan Lafontaine

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

I also couldn't get FreeRDP to work via a Remote Desktop Gateway, and since I'm off site today, I can't validate that right shift still does not work. When connecting via a Remote Desktop GW, I just get a black screen. Which if I remember correctly from my searches a few weeks ago, is a relatively common problem with FreeRDP.

Clock2 mths

I see,

Well, I'll keep trying to replicate the issue with the information I've got so far.
If anything comes up, I'll post back.

Jonathan Lafontaine

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hey there,
I can confirm this issue still persist in the new insider build 19541 of windows 10. Using the FreeRDP type still works though.

Clock2 mths

RDM ver. 2019.2.21.0
Win 10 ver. 18363.535

Crashes using the Microsoft RDP as default, and embedded. Changing to FreeRDP Latest fixed the issue.

Clock2 mths

Issue still persists in Win10 build 19546. Still have to use FreeRDP Latest. upset

Do you guys have a beta build, or some test build that we can maybe try out and report back on? Just trying to help smile

Clock2 mths

A very unusual malware hit has erupted in the form of Mac Error Code 43. It generally affects Apple computers but it's also found in windows. Once attacked, the computer has to be taken to the authorized service center at the earliest possible. It is dangerous in itself as it harms the files in your Mac and corrupts it. Restoration of these files is difficult if not impossible.

Clock30 days

Hi!

I run the insider build 19541 of windows 10 and have the problem as well.

Clock28 days

I ended up copying the DLL from a standard Windows 10 machine over. Much better temporary workaround for me, than using FreeRDP.

Clock28 days

@roland06 - could you please let us know what you did? (which dll, location etc... ) would like to give it a go as well.... thanks man!!! smile

There seems to be a few locations for the dll (mstscax.dll)

Clock28 days

I copied C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll from a non insider preview Windows 10 client that already had the 1/2020 updates installed.

DLL file version

Modified Date
1/15/2020

Placed it in the same location on the Insider Preview system.

Clock28 days

Brilliant, thank you!
I can confirm that works for me now, I used the dll file from a Win10 19035 build. Back to proper RDP now....
I did have to boot a PE version of windows on USB, as i could not rename the DLL file while windows was running.. But once again, Hirens came to the rescue! smile

Clock28 days

Works for me, too.

I have stored the C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll from Windows 10 1909 on the Insider-PC's C:\.

Started Windows 10 in the Command prompt mode:

1. https://www.minitool.com/news/advanced-options-windows-10-009.html
Way 2

2. https://www.minitool.com/data-recovery/boot-to-command-prompt-windows-10-009.html
Way 1

Now:

Copy C:\mstscax.dll C:\Windows\System32 /Y

Exit

Clock27 days

@Everyone,

Thank you to all of you for the workaround regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais
signaturesignature

Clock26 days

So, on build 19551 of Windows 10, they have fixed the multiple RDP issues. I can confirm if is all good now from my side. The dll file has updated to this build as well. No need to replace with a non-insider branch build of the dll. smile

Clock25 days

Hello,

Thank you for letting us know Thumbs Up

Best Regards,

Etienne Lord

signaturesignature

Clock25 days

@llwewllynj you beat me to the punch. Was so excited to see that fix this am when I logged in!!

Clock24 days