Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

RDM Key Agent Manager + WinSCP connecting with any SSH key = RDM crash

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

The issue: when I start a WinSCP session which tries to use an SSH key to connect, RDM crashes. The problem is connected to the Key Agent: if my private key is loaded, RDM crashes, if it's not loaded, RDM runs parallel with WinSCP. The issue is not related to the key used: I created a brand new key and loaded that to RDM while tried to connect with WinSCP with my old key - even this way RDM crashed too.
RDM version: 2019.2.22.0 64-bit
WinSCP version: 5.15.9 (Build 10071)

Clock2 mths

I will investigate this problem and will inform you about when the fix will be available.

Regards

Denis Vincent

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi,

I have not been able to reproduce your issue yet. I would like to know the algorithm and the size of the key your are using, as can be found in the key agent manager.

Regards.

Denis Vincent

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi Denis,

Thank you for your efforts.
Version: SSH2
Size: 2048
Algorithm: RSA
It's also password protected.
Originally I kept it on a shared folder with appropriate security settings, but I also tried to open it from a local folder, the crash phenomenon kept coming. And please keep in mind that I also completely changed the key to another one and even that way RDM crashed. And now I tried one more thing: I open the Agent Manager, click on Start Agent, to the upcoming "Enter the Private Key Password" window I press ESC so it closes with the error message "The entered password is invalid!" (that's all fine till now). But even without a given key, the Agent shows it's running in the lower left corner of the Key Manager window (I don't know if this is by design). And even in this state when I start a WinSCP session, RDM crashes.
I completely reinstalled RDM yesterday without any luck.
I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise build 17763.914 with Hungarian local and UI settings.

Regards,
Balazs

Clock2 mths

Hi Balazs,

Apparently, the bug is not caused by the key type since I tested with exactly the same kind of key and it works well in our environment. I suspect something like a security problem for now. I tried running RDM as administrator and WinSCP normally and vice versa, but both cases worked for me...

It is normal that the Key agent manager may run without any keys: keys may be added and removed on the fly while the Key agent is running.

Now, I am not sure if you use WinSCP directly or through RDM's WinSCP entry. If you use RDM's entry, you can specify the key in it, and do without the Key agent manager running (as a work around). I think the same thing can be done in WinSCP and it can be specified not to use Pageant.

Other things that could help solve this issue: how does RDM crashes? Do you have an error report?

Regards

Denis Vincent

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi Denis,

I have 3 consecutive events in the EventViewer (sorry for the Hungarian parts, it's literally impossible to reproduce them, even with US UI in Windows, the events are in Hungarian.... nicely done, MS, thanks for nothing!):

-
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-19T09:51:21.248354500Z" />
<EventRecordID>490629</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>IT-1713.si.net</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Alkalmazás: RemoteDesktopManager64.exe Keretrendszer verziószáma: v4.0.30319 Leírás: A folyamat egy nem kezelt kivétel miatt meg lett szakítva. Kivétel adatai: kivételkód: c0000005, kivétel címe: 00007FFB99468367 Verem:</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-19T09:51:21.456776100Z" />
<EventRecordID>490630</EventRecordID>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>RemoteDesktopManager64.exe</Data>
<Data>2019.2.22.0</Data>
<Data>5deeab95</Data>
<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>10.0.17763.831</Data>
<Data>1f1a0210</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>0000000000068367</Data>
<Data>2700</Data>
<Data>01d5b6503e60bbae</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Devolutions\Remote Desktop Manager\RemoteDesktopManager64.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>5ddd2118-5e7e-4c44-9891-46d20b180c24</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

The last one is almost the same like this second one:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-19T09:51:23.814737800Z" />
<EventRecordID>490631</EventRecordID>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>RemoteDesktopManager64.exe</Data>
<Data>2019.2.22.0</Data>
<Data>5deeab95</Data>
<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>10.0.17763.831</Data>
<Data>1f1a0210</Data>
<Data>c000041d</Data>
<Data>0000000000068367</Data>
<Data>2700</Data>
<Data>01d5b6503e60bbae</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Devolutions\Remote Desktop Manager\RemoteDesktopManager64.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>1e5a00eb-67d5-4de1-9109-784037a86515</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

And to reply your questions: I'm not running Pageant, but my key is linked in each WinSCP entry, and WinSCP is run completely separate, not as RDM sub entries. RDM runs As Administrator always.
Side question: is it normal that with the last patch of RDM, after typing my Google Auth code I must give my SSL Key's Privat Key Password? It's set NOT to ask for it anytime and now I have to give it at RDM start. It wouldnt be a problem if I had to start RDM once a day... but this way that it crashes about every 10 minutes and I have to type a Google Auth key and then my Key Pwd... my smile is not the most authentic by 2pm.

Regards,
Balazs

Clock3 mths

Hello,

I'll let Denis reply to you for the crash itself, but for needing to retype the key passphrase, this is an issue and I've opened a ticket to fix it. If the passphrase is saved within RDM, it should be using that passphrase.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi Hubert and Denis,

THank you!
There's another news from my side: I even tried to logon to a simple username/password authenticated session (no key involved) with WinSCP and even that made RDM crash. So I would suppose the key has nothing to do with the issue.

Regards,
Balazs

Clock3 mths

Hi Balazs,

Thanks for the info, I will look into it. I understand you are not using Pageant, but the Key agent manager act as Pageant. WinSCP tries to get keys from the agent by default. So you can avoid RDM to crash if you uncheck "Attempt authentication using Pageant" in your WinSCP sessions (as a work around). This option is found in the same dialog where you specified the key for your entries.
It looks like there is something in the request sent by WinSCP in your environment that is not handled correctly by RDM's Key agent manager. It's going to be a challenge to find what is going but I will fix this.

Regards

Denis Vincent

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

As a note, for the passphrase prompt, we will have a fix for RDM 2019.2.23.0.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

And I have found a problem, I am not sure if it is this problem but it will be fixed in 2019.2.23.0.
Regards

Denis Vincent

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Happy New Year to all my Heros of Devolutions wink
Is there any ETA for v2019.2.23.0 ? I just checked for updates in my client and it said it was the most updated version with v2019.2.22.0.

Regards,
Balazs

Clock2 mths

Hello,

We're planning to release 2019.2.23.0 this week.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths