Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

RDP Password is (sometimes) not filled in automatically

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

Lately, we've had an increase in the following behavior:

- A user wants to establish a RDP connection (the credentials are stored in the database)
- Instead of a complete login, the RDP window asks for a password
- The connection works if the password is copied from RDM (via "Copy Password" function) and pasted in the RDP window
- After restarting the jumphost that runs RDM, the connection works fully automated again

Sometimes, our jumphosts have a problem with the clipboard, which is resolved after restarting.

Could that be related with this issue?
Which other options do we have to troubleshoot this issue?

Best Regards

Clock3 mths

Hello,

A good way to test it, if possible, is when the Jumphost has an issue with the clipboard to try to connect directly.

However, if the jump host clipboard is not working properly, yes there are chances that the account brokering is affected. When the clipboard is not working properly, which windows options are broken.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

thanks for the fast support.

Connecting manually via mstsc cli options is working - also when the jumphost has the problem with the clipboard.

The only problem we know about is that the clipboard on our VMware based jump host is not working until a reboot. Since our problem with RDP and RDM also appears randomly and is resolved after a reboot, I thought it could be related.

Does the RDM RDP addon rely on a working clipboard?

Best regards

Clock3 mths

Hi,

RDM doesn't interact with the clipboard, we thing that the configuration or the session doesn't use the credentials in RDM but from somewhere else.

Are you able to test the scenario below?

• Next time RDM stop filling the credentials (so clipboard is not working)
  • Start the session using MSTSC and the command line (from the VM)
  • Then reopen RDM and try to connect again.

Is it the same result?

Regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

Just now, I was able to reproduce the scenario and got the following result:

- RDM did not fill the password automatically
- I connected using mstsc.exe /v:<server>:<port> and entered the password manually

- Restarted RDM
- The password was filled in automatically

Best Regards

Clock3 mths

Hi,

This seems that RDM doesn't fill the credentials, it probably used the credentials from Windows Credentials Manager.

Could you confirm that Store password locally is NOT checked. and that a password is entered in the Password field.

RDP+password

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

RDP_password.png
Clock3 mths

Hi,

yes I can confirm that "Store password locally" is not checked and that a password is entered in the password field.

I also figured out that I don't need to connect manually in order to get the automatic fill in working again, e.g.:

- RDM did not fill the password automatically
- Restarted RDM
- The password was filled in automatically

Best Regards

Clock3 mths

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't ask you at the beginning but which version of RDM are you using?
Also, could you send me (it could be by email at ticket@devolutions.net), print screens of the RDP session?

I would like to try to reproduce the issue.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

As suggested, I have sent an email with screenshots to ticket@devolutions.net.

Best regards

Clock3 mths