Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Ability to create per user Variables.

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Remote desktop Manager has the ability to create Custom Variables, and that is a really great feature for large deployments.

However, it would be awesome for a user to have the ability to create their own Variables unique to them. For example in my Cyberark Deployment, there is a "Privileged account" setting that needs to be specified. However the entry can not be user specific (Design flaw, already opened a ticket on that)

However if users could create unique variables we could say use the variable $CA_User_Admin$ in the record then create the setting such that that variable, $CA_User_admin$ can be set to the account that user would use.

This is just an example of what could be done. Would be great if these kind of Variables could also exist in a users private vault.

Clock3 mths

Hello,

It's already possible to accomplish this in RDM. Simply go in File -> Options -> General -> Custom Variables.
This will allow your users to create custom variables locally.
image+(6)

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais
signaturesignature

image (6).png
Clock3 mths

But they are not unique to the User, they are for the system.
Example if I have 10 users I would like to have the variable be different things for different users.
SO User 1 could set $CA_User_Admin$ = "admin1", User 2 could set $CA_User_Admin$ = "admin2", user 3 could set $CA_User_Admin$ = "Admin3" ….
This is how I thought the custom Variables worked. I was surprised to see 'my custom Variables' in a session for another user.

Clock3 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the explanation.

The request has been added to the ToDo list of our engineering department.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais
signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Having Personal Variables would be helpful on many layers. Would be great if someone could create a variable in their personal Vault. This could be used to circumvent the current shortcoming in the CyberArk integration.

For example for today in 2019.2.19.0 anyway, you can not edit your Users Specific Settings for PSM connections. The feature request is to fix that!

The ability to use individualized variables could be used to work around this and future missing features.

psm2.png
Clock15 days

Hello,

Is it possible to provide us more information's on which field(s) would you like to override via the User Specific Settings for CyberArk?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais
signaturesignature

Clock11 days

"Privileged Account" We have different accounts for people to use based on their roles, sometimes unique accounts per user.

We need the ability to set a custom "Privileged account" name for each record to be Customized per user (like you would for username on a normal server).

Clock11 days

Hello,

We will add specific settings for CyberArk PSM. We'll let you know once the changes have been made, it shouldn't be difficult.

For the per-user variables, we will open a ticket but I can't give you an estimate on when it will be available.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock10 days

The CyberArk Settings are the real goal. The per-user setting was a work around for that and potentially future stuff.
Just to be clear the setting is in the "CyberrArk PSM Connection", not the "CyberAKr PSM Server" entries.
I can't tell you how outstanding this news is to me as this feature is really holding up my Devolutions deployment. DO you have any kind of timeline I could communicate with management as to when we might be able to expect this?

Clock10 days

I think we should be able to squeeze in this change by February 20th, which is our planned release date for RDM 2020.

If there are other missing settings like that for the CyberArk PSM 'workflow', please let us know. Your feedback is appreciated! smile

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock10 days

OK you really made me think on how this could be improved so this may be pretty far out there but you asked... LOL:

We have multi-site PSM Deployment in a Mesh design. It would be awesome to create a "Cyberark PSM Server Pool" each record would have a site designation.
This Site designation would also be an optional record in the "CyberArk PSM connection" entries.
When you launch a connection it would prioritize the "PSM Serverr" where the site records match. If the connection failed (meaning could not connect to the PSM Server) it would try the next server in the pool.

Like I said that may be too much to ask for but just throwing that out there.

P.S. this would be a good feature for "Remote Desktop Gateway" servers too.

Clock10 days

Hello Vincent,

Thank you for your feedback, we'll see what we can do to implement these features.

I had a talk with Maurice and I have to amend what I said earlier—while we will be ready to push the change by February 20th, our integration with CyberArk requires us to get their approval regarding any change we make in the integration, which would include adding these specific settings. This means I can't give you an accurate estimate, but we'll try to get the approval as soon as possible.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock10 days

Hi all, let me add to this

I have the impression Vincent03 and me are about on the same track since on a lot of feature requests I see both of our names popping up often.

Please note that we are using RSA tokens for our CyberArk Multifactor authentiction. Meaning that in either a CyberArk web connection, or a direct CyberArk PSM connection (From Devolutions RDM) we connect to the CyberArk server, and login with a username and one-time RSA token code.
The technical background behind this is Radius, so RDM can use this as Radius username/password and it will work. However up till now we have had no luck of creating 'RSA type' credential entries (like: username and password, where the password is requested every time since it expires after 30 secs) so we had to set the credentials on the 'CyberArk PSM Server' to 'none' in order to get this work.

Would be nice if we could fill this in with some credential type of RSA or user variable.

As for the additional feature request of PSM Server pool: we also have a primary and standby PSM server, we now need to manually switch over these two in case of failover. "would be nice" if in the future this can be done automatically.

Clock7 days

Thanks for the response... As indicated I understand the back and forth needed from Cyberark to get your features approved and I am very eager for all that to be resolved.

But this is where we circle back to the per user Variables Idea. It is something customers can use in interim where Devolutions is involved in the back and forth with a particular partner. It can be a work around for missing or yet to be introduced features.

Clock3 days

Hello,

For now, the per-user variable feature isn't planned for RDM 2020.1, but we'll add it to our roadmap for RDM 2020.2.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 days

Total bummer, but thanks for keeping me informed!

Clock2 days