Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Feature Request

High DPI is present in the Windows version. How about the Mac version?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I have found references (and issues as stated in the forums) to the settings for high DPI settings remote desktop connections when using the app in Windows. How about on a Mac? I'm currently running it on an iMacPro 5K, and there does not seem to be any option to enable/use (and expect it to properly work) high DPI settings when RDPing into Windows servers. That is, Remote Desktop Connection for Mac RDPing into Windows Servers.

Do you guys have any plans of adding the functionality? It would be great to be able to see everything in the high resolution that these new Mac monitors provide... Best, Raphael.

P.S. I may be mistaken, but the ones who started all the hoopla around high DPI were on the Mac side of the fence. All the more reason to care for that audience first... smile

Clock21 days

Hi,

There are settings for the screen scaling in RDM mac for the RDP sessions:

ScalingSettings

Those are the values that we can change in FreeRDP, I'm not aware of any other settings that we could change.

Please, tell me if this is what you are looking for.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

ScalingSettings.png
Clock20 days

Xavier, you would have to browse the PC version of the software to see what I am talking about. See image attached. RDM for Mac does not have support for high DPI and thus the remote desktops appear less sharp in high DPI monitors (4K and 5K, for example) Raphael.

1.jpg
Clock20 days

Here's more about what we do have on the PC version, but not so on the Mac version: https://blog.devolutions.net/2016/04/remote-desktop-manager-now-supports-high-dpi

R.

Clock20 days

Hi,

I believe I will need screenshots of your RDP sessions to understand your issue.

Firstly, it's important to note that macOS and Windows handle Display Scaling quite differently. By this I mean, most component of a macOS application scale automatically (so long as the Cocoa framework was used to develop it, which is our case). For instance, if you switch between a regular display and a Retina one, you can see the icons in the application switching from their regular resolution to their high resolution counterparts.

That's for the application at large. As for RDP sessions themselves, the options I've sent you earlier are the only one that I know of for FreeRDP that pertain to scaling. The options you've shown calls a Windows API to make RDM "DPI aware". Which I believe is roughly the equivalent of the default macOS behavior I described earlier. It does not pertain to RDP sessions per say and if it impact them in any ways, it's possibly because the RDP sessions uses an ActiveX control that supports the "DPI awareness".

TL;DR I need more detailed information of the behavior you want because the option itself does not translate to anything relevant in macOS.

You could for instance provide me a before/after screenshots of RDM (with an opened RDP session) with and without the option enabled + a screen shot of what RDM with the same session looks like in RDM Mac.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock20 days

Xavier, you are missing the point here. Devolutions RDM for PCs is high DPI aware, while Devolutions RDM for Macs is high DPI UNAware.
I don't want to disable high DPI awareness. I want it to be aware in the client for Macs, which it is not.

Scaling is NOT the same as high DPI awareness. You obviously do not have a high DPI monitor, or have not tested that functionality of the product, if you cannot see the clear, glaring differences.

Here you are. Two attachments. One using Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac, which is high DPR aware, and another using Devolutions RDM for Mac, which is high DPI UNAware. Please tell me that you see the differences in the screenshots.

Best, Raphael.

P.S. I do appreciate you taking the time to work with me on this lack of functionality.

P.S.2 Yes, macOS handles DPI awareness much differently, the right way, but that's beside the point.

P.S.3 Please zoom in to the same level on each image to compare them per scale.

DPI Aware.jpg
DPI UNAware.jpg
Clock20 days

And... Here's a 50 second recording, where I zoom in so you can see the difference I am talking about. (Give it a few minutes for YouTube to properly encode the video otherwise the resolution won't be enough either.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTLnXVuOxTM

Thanks,

Raphael

Clock20 days

Hi Raphael,

Thanks for the screenshots, this is what I wanted to confirm. Yes, I can see de differences between the two images, for instances, we can see the text in the DPI Aware.jpg being a lot more sharp.

The reason why I went through my long description was to explain how the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" is an application wide settings that affect the entirerity of the application which does not translate to the macOS ecosystem as application are by default DPI aware. Now, what is not DPI aware in RDM for Mac are the RDP sessions. Which is unsurprising as we always ask the server for the calculated resolution without taking in account the pixel density.

We'll most likely need to request a higher resolution to the server while drawing it in the same frame and increase the scaling accordingly. I do not believe we'll be able to change the connection resolution dynamically when moving it from a HiDPI screen to a regular one without a reconnection. This means that with such a feature enabled, even on low DPI screen, the resolution of the image will be higher for no gains (which will affect performance in those cases). If you're only using a HiDPI display, it would not matter though.

I'll file the feature request.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock19 days

I do appreciate your attention Xavier. For the record, Microsoft's solution, called "Microsoft Remote Desktop", which can be downloaded from the Apple app store, does have high DPI awareness, extending it to the RDP connections into the servers themselves. So, I know it is possible. The only reason I do not abandon Devolutions RDM is because it does have a more feature rich set of tools than Microsoft's solution. Hopefully you guys can make it so high DPI awareness in the remote desktop sessions happens correctly. Thanks, Raphael.

Clock19 days

Hi Raphael,

Do you use multiple monitors with different scaling at the same time, let's say for instance your 4K monitor + a 1920x1080? I'm asking because I'm in front of a crossway. Here's the three way forwards:

1) We open the connection and takes the scaling of the screen in which it started. We will continue to receive high resolution frames from the server even if the window containing the connection is moved to a lower resolution screen. The downside with this way is that, at the opposite end, if you launch a session in the lower resolution screen and move it to a higher resolution screen, we will keep receiving the lower resolution frames from the server (i.e. the current behavior).

2) To fix the issue with number 1, we could always set the session resolution to the highest definition screen regardless of which screen the session is launched in. In this case, with a high definition monitor with higher scaling, the resolution of the session will always be higher, to no visual benefit in lower definition screen (but still with the performance loss as we still download high resolution frame).

3) We have a settings called Smart Reconnect that triggers a reconnect of the sessions when its size (i.e. its resolution) changes. We could do the same when the session changes screen. Therefore refreshing it with the right scaling. The downside would be that slow connection could make it annoying to change screen. That and it would requires more far reaching changes.

Is there any of those ways that would better suits you? If it does not apply to your use case and you do not care particularly, I'll most likely go with the first option as it is the simplest and less cumbersome one.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock19 days

Hello again Xavier, in my case, I'm perfectly fine with one screen only. That is how I work anyways. I have one iMac Pro 27" 5K, with plenty of display real estate. I also use "Spaces" extensively so I can switch from "screen to screen" (meaning from Space to Space) so I can accommodate as many applications as I want/need without me going insane. I have a total of 8 of these spaces constantly filled with different apps, but those are always the same resolution.

Now, I do imagine that most people out there using multiple screens would prefer options 2 or 3 though... I wonder how Apple addresses that for users with more than one screen... I would mirror what Apple does in this case.

I hope this helps. Best, Raphael.

Clock19 days

Here's what my workspace looks like across 8 separate Spaces, all using the same 5K 27" display:

1.jpg
Clock18 days

Hi Raphael,

Once again, thanks for your input. I'll post back when the feature is implemented.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock18 days

Hi Raphael,

This has been done and will be available in the next release of RDM Mac (2019.2.1.0). It will be turned off by default. I've uses Microsoft Remote Desktop nomenclature for the option. It will be called "Optimize for Retina displays" and can be changed globally in the Preferences (Session Type -> RDP -> Display -> "Optimize for Retina displays"). It will also be possible to override the Preferences option on a per session basis (RDP (Microsoft Remote Desktop) -> Display -> Scaling -> "Optimize for Retina displays").

Preferences:

Preferences

Session settings:

Session

This is only available in the RDP Modern Engine. The Legacy Engine will just ignore this setting.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Preferences.png
Session.png
Clock13 days

Thank you, I appreciate the efforts. It is working for some servers, not others. But I believe it is probably not your fault. I believe the servers I'm RDPing into are Windows Server 2008, and not 2012. That would probably explain the garbled graphics I am getting when RDPing into some servers. Thank you once more. Best, Raphael.

Clock5 days

Hi rferreira,

Most likely the server versions are the issue. If we look at the option in Microsoft Remote Desktop, we see that it is only recommended for Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 and later. Most likely because prior versions do not support the scaling settings.

I'd suggest enabling the setting selectively on servers that supports it.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock5 days

Yes, that's what I thought, and that is my plan as well (to use it selectively.) Thanks again, Raphael.

Clock5 days

Hi,

Please, do not hesitate to tell me if you find any other issue.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock5 days