Forum / Wayk Now - Bug Report

Wayk Now - Black screen on a VPS

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,
I installed Wayk Now (from MSI file) on a VPS machine, with Windows Server 2016.
Now, when I try to connect to this machine from another pc with portable version of Wayk Now, i see only a black screen.
If i try to connect to VPS from Remote Desktop application by another PC or by smartphone, only in this case I see the screen correctly.
What can i try to resolve?
Thanks

Clock13 days

Hello fauland

Please can you locate the following files on the remote machine and send them to us (either via the forum or to support@devolutions.net):

%PROGRAMDATA%\Wayk\Logs\NowService.log
C:\Windows\Temp\NowSession.log

That will help us troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock13 days

Hello again fauland

Please note that if you have a disconnected (not logged off RDP) session on the remote machine, you will see a black screen when you connect with Wayk Now.

Please see "Known Issues" on our online help page.

A disconnected RDP session stops all remote graphics rendering, hence, when connected, you see a black screen.

The solution is to logoff your RDP session before connecting with Wayk Now.

We have a project to improve compatibility with RDP sessions, so you can look for this being resolved in the future.

For now, let me know if that resolves the issue!

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock13 days

Hi,
thanks for you reaply, here are the logs... but one of them seems to be empty...

NowService.log
NowSession.log
Clock13 days

Hello fauland

Thanks a lot. Can you confirm that you do not have any dis(connected) RDP sessions?

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock13 days

Hi rmarkiewicz,
I try to do the following steps:
1) I access to remote machine (vps) by Remote Desktop from my laptop (admin user, password)
2) On VPS, I launch Wayk (msi installation) and I set a custom password. Only SRP and PFP authentications are available, not SRD
3) I LOG OFF from admin user by start-user-log off
4) On my laptop, i launch Wayk portable, i put the target ID of wayk installed on VPS... and it sometimes crashes, sometimes asks me username and password of...SRD authentication!!

Now i'll try to reboot VPS and laptop...

Clock13 days

Hi fauland

For the authentication, it's the expected behaviour. Let me explain:

- For an installation with the .msi (that includes the Windows Service), it is not possible to disable SRD authentication. The option should appear checked, but disabled.
- When connecting to a remote machine, SRP and PFP (if enabled) will only be accessible if there is a logged in user on the remote machine running the Wayk Now client. Otherwise, there is no way to see the SRP password or PFP prompt.
- So, in this case, only SRD authentication will be available.

This is well explained in this post. It also gives an option to let the .msi configure a fixed password for use with the SRD authentication. You can let me know if you have questions or feedback about that!

it sometimes crashes, sometimes asks me username and password

What is the message reported when the connection fails? Or do you mean the application crashes and exits?

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock13 days

Richard,
you wrote "The solution is to logoff your RDP session before connecting with Wayk Now" and now you write Srp and PFp are not avaible if there isn't a logger user.
So I understand the only way to connect to my VPS is by SRD authentication mode. Is this correct?
I'll try so set the SRD authentication as described in that post...

What is the message reported when the connection fails? Or do you mean the application crashes and exits?

it crashes and exit

Clock12 days

Maybe... do I need an Enterprise edition on laptop??

https://helpwayk.devolutions.net/gettingstarted_unattendedmode.htm

Clock12 days

Hello fauland

A crash on the client when connecting sounds really irregular; I'm wondering if this is related to the black screen issue. Maybe there's something about the VPS that we are failing to capture or encode the screen properly; or to decode that on the client.

The NowSession.log earlier didn't get attached properly on the forum, but you said it was empty, which is not unexpected. If there was a capture error on the server I'd expect it to be written to that file.

On your client (the one you are connecting from), please enable the logs by going to Options > Advanced > Logging Level, and tuning it to DEBUG. You will need to restart the client after making the change. Then; if you experience the crash and/or black screen, please send us the file from %APPDATA%\Wayk\Logs\WaykNow.log.

The only way to connect to your VPS in unattended mode (i.e. no logged in user running the Wayk Now client) is with SRD authentication, yes; and that does require a license (on your client machine - the one you are connecting *from*). If you don't have a license on that side you should receive a message box to the effect of "unattended access requires a license".

Sorry if that was not clear earlier. If you want to continue testing, you can request a 30-day trial by filling out this form: https://wayk.devolutions.net/trial. The sales team will send you a trial license.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock12 days