Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Problem with Copy Username and Password

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello

Having a strange issue with Copy Username and Password

Clicking CUaP and Pasting into notepad works fine. Clicking CUaP and pasting into Chrome (or Edge 80.0.320.3, so it's likely to be a Chromium issue) just pastes the password. Seems to work properly in IE, although nothing happens in Edge 40. I've tried both Clipboard copy methods. Copy Username and Copy Password both work as expected.

Thanks

Clock14 days

What version of RDM are you running? Is the clipboard history (Windows(keys)+V) enabled?

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock14 days

Hi Stefane

I thought to myself "I must remember it include the version number", then clearly forgot!

It's version 2019.2.15.0 64-bit.

Clipboard history is turned off

Thanks

Clock14 days

Thank you,

So, what most likely is happening, something is taking/stealing the content of the clipboard.

With CUnP we first put a promise of text (Username) into the clipboard, wait for some other app to request (paste) the text for which we then get called to supply. We then clear the clipboard and start over with the Password.

So my guess is some other app is asking for the Username, prior to your paste in Chrome/Edge...

Why are Copy Username & Copy password working? They don't work exactly the same that is unless you change the File > Options > Clipboard copy method > Paste once (secure)

I can't reproduce here with RDM but I have a script that might help us diagnose the issue on your side.

Could you please download and install this tool: https://www.linqpad.net/Download.aspx (LINQPad 5) Installer or xcopy (zip)

Then download the attached file, open it in LinqPad and hit F5

Press the Copy Username Password button and try the scenarios that you outline above (paste in Notepad, Chrome...). One at a time (close the window between tests), copy the result from LinqPad and please send us the results.

2019+11+06+9+34+55

Best regards,

(edited : removed LinqPad script)

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

2019-11-06_9-34-55.png
Clock14 days

Thanks Stefane

Requester: notepad++ (2035118)
Requester: notepad++ (2035118)
Requester: chrome (3085308)
Requester: chrome (3085308)

The first two requests are two pastes to give:

LINQPad - UserName
LINQPad - Password

as expected.

The two Chrome requests happen at the same time and paste just 'LINQPad - Password'.

I've turned off all extensions. Edge Dev shows the same behaviour. Pasting in the Omnibar works as expected, but pasting in the main Window generates two requests. Perculiar.

It's obviously a Chrome problem however. Have you tested in Version 78.0.3904.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)?

Clock14 days

I have the exact same issue, can replicate.

Chrome 78 build adds this "Shared Clipboard" feature.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7679408?hl=en

Shared clipboard between computers and Android devicesA limited number of users might see the option to share their clipboard content between their computers and Android devices. To share, they need to have Chrome installed, sign in on both devices with the same account, and enable Chrome Sync.

The text is end-to-end encrypted, and Google can’t see the contents.

This functionality will be released to all users in a future version of Chrome. In the full release, admins will be able to control it with an enterprise policy.

Clock14 days

I'm having the same problem.

Nice spotted in the Chrome changelog, rolflobker - could sound like a possible cause.

Clock12 days

I suggest you turn off the Clipboard sync in Chrome;

chrome://flags

Clock12 days

Thank you all for the amazing investigative work.

I just got back from a week outside the office. I will try to test/debug the "copy username & password" to see if I can get it work nicely/properly with the Chrome "Shared Clipboard" feature enabled. We already set the two flags, specified by Windows, that identifies the clipboard data "private/sensitive" and that it shouldn't be stored/processed in any clipboard history local or cloud-based. So why is Chrome still doing it? One can only speculate.

My feeling is disabling the "Shared Clipboard" might be our only choice and may also be the safest. I'm not sure I want my usernames & passwords to be sent/shared across my devices via Chrome. There are more secure ways of sharing credentials other than giving them to Google via my copy/paste buffer in clear text.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock8 days

Does anyone know if there's a similar setting in the new Edge? I've searched and tried turning off anything remotely related to the clipboard with no change in behavior.

Clock7 days

Whilst I agree it's best to be turned off for those that aren't using it, I've turned off shared clipboard and it hasn't fixed the original issue for me.

Clock7 days

Hasn't fixed it for me as well.
I will also investigate a bit more when I have the time.

Clock7 days

I think I found the solution. It should be included in the RDM build v2019.2.20.

If you want to test, I've attached the "improved" LinqPad test script that should work with Chrome.

Give it a try and let me know.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock1 day

Cool! But....smile

I have tested LinqPad with your improved test script with the new Edge - I get the same result - I only get the password.
Notepad works fine.
I don't have Chrome installed.

Some others have to do some testing of Chrome and also see if they get the same result in the new Edge, as I do.

Clock1 day

Small update:
In the new Edge. If I try to do it in the address bar - it works (first username, then password). But trying in a web page (like this comment box I'm typing my answer in), only the password comes out.
The output of the clipboard test still shows both:

Requester: msedge (262656) - Value: LINQPad - UserName
Pushed LINQPad - UserName
Requester: msedge (262656) - Value: LINQPad - Password
Pushed LINQPad - Password

Clock1 day

Please try this version.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock1 day

After further testing, Chrome should work but not Edge.

Edge looks and acts like the Windows Clipboard History service. It actually calls a thread of the Clipboard service to do the clipboard code for it instead of calling the clipboard directly.

Back to the drawing board...

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock1 day

Please try this version with Edge

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock1 day

Have tested it in New Edge Beta (Version 79.0.309.25 (Official build) beta (64-bit))... and it works!
When I get to work I'll test it in New Edge Dev.

Clock15 hrs

Works fine in Chrome. It doesn't work in the Omnibox, but I can't imagine that being an issue for many.

Thanks Stefane

Clock13 hrs

Just tested with New Edge Dev Version 80.0.328.4 (Official build) dev (64-bit) and Clipboard Test v4 seems to work everywhere (address/search bar and on web pages!

Cool - and thank you! smile

Clock12 hrs

Wow it worked I'm honestly surprised.

Thank you all for the updates.

@roger01 - for Omnibox, send the output of the LinqPad script while you try to paste into Omnibox, I might be able to fix it.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock8 hrs

Hi Stefane

It's:

Requester: chrome (1314564 - 16308)
Pushed LINQPad - UserName
Requester: chrome (1314564 - 16308)
Pushed LINQPad - Password

The first two lines appear on right click in the Omnibox, the second two on Paste.

Thanks

P.S. I don't actually need to paste usernames or passwords into the Omnibox, just happened to notice

Clock7 hrs

Here is why it doesn't work with the right-click in the omnibox.

It reads/fetches/steals the value of the clipboard to put in the "Paste and search for..." menu option forcing RDM to move onto the password value prematurely.

Omnibox

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Omnibox.png
Clock6 hrs