Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

Batch Edit RDP Computer names to be the FQDN

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Exactly like the question posed here, I would like to be able to batch edit the computer names of hundreds of RDP sessions to append my local domain to them so they will all be the FQDN. That topic was for the Windows RDM and I'm on the Mac RDM (free).

I know that I need to do Custom Applescript. But I can't seem to do it right (if it's even working).

Here's the sample Applescript given:

set value of _connection of property "Name" to "ModifiedName"
save _connection

And here's what I've attempted:

set value of _connection of property "Host" to ".mydomain.com"
save _connection

But whenever I hit compile beforehand to see if it will work, here's what I get:

Can someone tell me how to do this right?

Clock30 days

Hi Blake,

I could not reproduce your error. Even using your provided snippet.

That being said, the snippet you provided won't do what you described. I believe something like this is more what you want:

set _host to get value from _connection of property "Host"
set value of _connection of property "Host" to _host & ".mydomain.com"
save _connection

I've tested it myself and it properly appends ".mydomain.com" at the end of all my entries' hosts. Could you try with this script and see if it works properly?

Which version of RDM are you using and what's your macOS version?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock29 days

MacOS 10.15
RDM Free Version 2019.1.9.0

So here are my steps:

I select highlight multiple entries or an entire folder of entries;
Then I right-click > Edit > Edit (Special Actions)... > Custom AppleScript > OK;

Then I copied and pasted the Applescript exactly as you have it and still get the same error when hitting compile.

And if I hit ok to try to run the script anyway, this is what I get:

SERVER01: error A property can’t go after this identifier.
number -2740
range {19, 8}

SERVER02: error A property can’t go after this identifier.
number -2740
range {19, 8}

I am not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. But it's strange that you can't reproduce it.

Clock28 days

Hi,

Ah! It just registered to me that you are using the Free Edition of RDM. Sorry for that, I should have noticed that earlier. AppleScript is not supported in the Free version of RDM. Though, I find it suprising. Especially considering that the AppleScript edit action is available. Either one should get enabled, or the other disabled, but how it is now is just surprising.

A few months ago, we've added a lot of Enterprise features to the Free Edition. I believe this should have been one of them. I'll have to get confirmation though.

In the mean time, for now you can always just download RDM Enterprise (it comes with a trial of 30 days), connect to the same data source and run the Batch Action on it. This should get you going until I find out where to go with the Free Edition.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock28 days

Hi,

I've confirmed that this will be added to the Free Edition. You can either wait for me to provide a version of the Free with the AppleScript support or follow my previous recommendation.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock28 days