Forum / Wayk Now - Support

I can't see the remote screen

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I connect remotely and the black screen appears

Clock2 mths

Hello

To help troubleshoot the issue, can you provide a little more information?

- What is the system you are connecting from (e.g. Windows, macOS...) and the system you are connecting to?
- Is this the first time you have the problem, or have successfully used Wayk Now previously?
- Have you customized any settings in the application?

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hey,

I don't know if my issue is the same like issue of post author, but some time ago I did troubleshooting the same issue at my computer.
I don't remember if it was at last 3.2.0 version (I thing yes), but earlier versions did have this issue I'm sure.

I connected from Win 10 Prof to Win 10 Prof
It was random, but very annoying... and from time to time I get only black screen. Resolution of widow was ok, but instead of see my desktop I saw only black screen.
I did change only two options - Codec - Quality mode = High and use GFWX instead of auto.

After some tests I found solution smile
Problem was when I turn off my monitor using power button.
I've nvidia card and monitor connected at Display Port.

Black screen was random, because sometimes I left my monitor turned off by power save settings and some times I pushed power button.
Every time when I use power button and try connect my computer remotely I get black screen - when someone turn it on I get desktop view immediately instead of black screen at active session.

--
KriS

Clock13 days

Hi Kris,

Using the power button on the physical screen means the operating system won't "see" the display any more and will therefore not render anything to it. If you leave it on, even if it goes to sleep after some time, the operating system is normally able to wake up the screen when there is activity, but this is not possible when you turn it off completely. Seeing a black screen on a system with no monitor connected (because they've been turned off completely) would therefore be the expected behaviour.

Maybe we could improve things in the future by detecting such cases on the server and sending a message to the client to let you know, but all it would do is tell you a possible reason for the black screen, not fix the black screen issue itself. I would advise against using the power button on physical displays for that reason.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock13 days

Hmm... so how it works at computer where I don't have physically connected monitor at all?
Do you remember my test computer where I gave you access? It was computer without monitor and only power cable was connected to it.

EDIT: it was Richard who get access, not you wink
--
KriS

Clock13 days

Hi Kris,

Well, you're making me doubt my assumptions now. We'll make it a task to test the behaviour on systems with no screen attached, or with a disconnected screen. If you leave the monitors on, it should work, but maybe there are cases that can work correctly with the screens turned off. We've just never tested so we don't know which cases should work, and which cases shouldn't work.

Best regards,

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock13 days

You should consider one more thing in tests..

a) computer with build in graphic card (i've intel core i5 procesor) - it works without monitor physically connected
b) computer like my, with external graphic card - internal is not in use - I've got black screen on it.

--
KriS

Clock13 days

Hello

Like Marc-Andre said, in most cases without a monitor attached (or an attached monitor over HDMI or DisplayPort, but powered off) I would expect to see a black screen; or at least a limited resolution / color depth forced by the console display driver.

It's a common issue in remote software and there's a healthy market for these EDID devices to enable high resolutions on headless boxes remotely...

It was me that had access to your remote machine Kris - was it via UltraVNC? I know that at least some VNC servers use a custom display driver to work around that too...

But as you and Marc-Andre summarize; there does seem to be other cases where this can work. I've added a task internally to investigate this.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock13 days