Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - PowerShell Repository

How to login into Datasource

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I want to execute a powershell script every night to create new vaults.

There for it must automated login into the datasoure. I found samples in the forum how to do it with sql server. But how can i do this with SQL Azure and Active Directory ?

The script always opens the password dialog from Micosoft.

RDM 2019.1.41

LoginAD.png
source.png
Clock2 mths

Hello,

We reproduce the same exact behaviour internally. I am quite sure that because of the Azure Directory Interactive (with MFA support), we will get an automatic prompt from Azure and not sure if it's possible to push something into this external Microsoft MFA prompt. I will check with the engineering team what we can do about it and will get back to you once I will get any information about it.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

And is it possible to create inside an Datasource with Azure AD Authentication an User with database authentication for automatisation ?

I tried this and it was possible to create the user - but i got a bit strange behavior of the application.

dbuser.png
Clock2 mths

Seams to be possible, i made a mistake in the screenshot of the last post.

Is it an recommended way ?

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Yes it is possible to create database user accounts from RDM but your own account require specific permissions on Azure SQL to do so.

Please check with your DBA if your account has enough privileges to create database accounts.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

We recommend to create Custom login accounts instead of creating database accounts to prevent users to directly access the SQL database. Please see the following blog article why we recommend using Custom accounts instead of database accounts or integrated security accounts. Even if it's about SQL Server database, it can be applied too on Azure SQL database.

https://blog.devolutions.net/2019/06/sql-server-with-integrated-security-thats-so-2015

For the Custom accounts, in fact, you will have to configure the Settings section in File - Data Sources - General using a SQL account that has enough privileges on the Azure SQL database (see #1). And the custom account credentials need to be saved in the Username and Password fields of the General tab (see #2).

A method to deploy this configuration is to create a Data Source Configuration file (.RDD) that will already contain the Database login account. The users will only have to import this file and fill in their credentials in the General tab.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths