Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Keyboard shortcut to switch focus from remote desktop session back to host

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

I run remote desktop sessions in window with the "Windows key on external computer" (not sure whether or not that is the correct English translation) setting enabled, so I can use Windows key keyboard shortcuts on the external computer.

I'd like to be able to use a keyboard shortcut to change the focus back to the host computer. Is this possible?

Ctrl + Alt + Break doesn't do the trick.

Regards,

Bram

Clock1 mth

Hi,

For my own tastes, I apply the window key only when fullscreen, that made sense to me as when running in full screen I focus all intent in that session.

I dont know if the following solution will fit your personal workflow, let me know if it doesnt.

I switched the Focus Dashboard keyboad shortcut to be a "Global Hotkey", which brings back the dashboard up top when invoked. If you are a kb shortcut afficionado, you can then use CTRL + arrows to go back to other running tabs.

2019+10+17+07+01+25

I almost undid my global shortcut when I realized that using CTRL - Arrows can be used in any case to switch to the dashboard, but I thought that there may be a level of variability when running mulitple tabs, I feel its safer to always go to the dashboard in your case.

Obviously, it may not fit your tastes, but I do not think we can handle the windows key in more ways than what we support already.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2019-10-17_07-01-25.jpg
Clock1 mth

Hi Maurice! Thanks for getting back to me!

I was hoping I could make this work, but it doesn't seem to work for me upset When I enable the "Windows key on the remote computer" setting, CTRL + Shift + L doesn't do anything for me. I did enable the Global Hotkey setting for Focus dashboard. If you have any more suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Regards,

Bram

Clock25 days

Hello,

Could you try to disable/enable the red magnet at the bottom right of RDM?
Let us know if that help.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock25 days

Hi Jean-Francois!

Ok, I'll try to explain all the different settings and behaviors smile

ctrl + shift + L with magnet off, focus on Welcome tab > Dashboard opens
ctrl + shift + L with magnet off, focus on remote desktop tab, Windows key on the remote computer on > Nothing happens
ctrl + shift + L with magnet off, focus on remote desktop tab, Windows key on the remote computer off > Dashboard opens (but now I can't use the Windows shortcut keys on the remote desktop)

ctrl + shift + arrow left or right with magnet on, focus on any tab, Windows key on the remote computer off > let's me switch between tabs (but now I can't use the Windows shortcut keys on the remote desktop)
ctrl + shift + arrow left or right with magnet on, focus on dashboard or welcome tab > let's me switch between tabs
ctrl + shift + arrow left or right with magnet on, focus on remote desktop tab, Windows key on the remote computer on > Nothing happens

So I guess, I need the magnet on so I can use ctrl + shift + arrows, windows key on remote computer on so I can use Windows keysboard shortcuts on the remote computer, and some kind of shortcut to get out of the remote computer and focus back to the host. Your suggestion to use ctrl + shift + L doesn't seem to work for me.

Any other thoughts?

FYI: maybe we shouldn't be putting to much time into this. If what I wan't just isn't possible, it's to bad but I can live with that smile

Clock25 days

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't have an other idea for the moment.
I'll post back if I found something on my end.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock22 days

No worries guys! Thanks for taking the time to look into this! Maybe I just need to change the way I work with RDP sessions and RDM!

Clock20 days