Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

RDM for Mac 2016.1.8.0 Master key

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

RDM for Mac 2016.1.8.0 continue to ask for Master key after removing the same and unchecking the "Always ask for master key".

Clock3 mths

Hello,

I moved your topic into the RDM Mac support section.

That being said, have you configured a masterkey on your Local datasource in the past?
Do you have access to your data?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

Thank you for placing the topic in proper forum.
I have never configured master key before. I upgraded from 4.6, I believe the latest version or one before, and was using it on a daily base, and never needed to use master key.
After the upgrade, I was asked to enter master key, not knowing what it means at the time, and not given an option not to enter it. First launch after the upgrade, I was asked for the master key, and needed to exit the app. Second time I was asked for the master key, and I needed to enter something to continue. After subsequent exiting and relaunching I noticed that now I need the master key every time I start RDM. I try removing it from the console:
Data source -> edit -> clear the "Master key" entry -> uncheck "Always ask master key" -> OK.
After exiting and relaunching RDM, still being asked for the master key. If I try entering anything else then the master key, it recognizes that is not the correct key, which means it is not removing it from the stored location. Changing the master key works, but not removing the same.

Regards,
Ilija

Clock3 mths

Hi ilimac,

Masterkeys encrypt data sources data. Just clearing the Masterkey field would not be enough to remove the encryption on the data. To do so, you'd have to load your data source (and enter the proper Masterkey), click on the File -> Change Master Key ribbon item and click on the "No Master Key" bottom left button in the shown window. After this you should no longer be ask for a masterkey.

ChangeMasterKey

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

ChangeMasterKey.png
Clock3 mths

Hi Xavier,

Following your instructions, master key was removed.

Thank you,
Ilija

Clock3 mths

Hi ilimac,

Glad to hear it!

Don't hesitate if you have any other question.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths