Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Bug Report

Dialogs do not have accelerator keys or default buttons

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

All dialogs I have seen so far in Remote Desktop Manager, e.g. for adjust configuration or setting up sessions, do not have the standard UI elements of accelerator keys or default buttons. For instance, I cannot simply press "Enter" to click "OK" on the dialog without actually selecting the "OK" button. It is conventional on Windows to use accelerator key "K" for the OK button and "N" for the Cancel button, and also to mark OK and Cancel as being "accept" and "cancel" for the dialog so that the Enter and Escape keys can be used. This would be a noticeable improvement to usability for me.

Clock2 mths

Indeed the accelerator key are missing. We will try to improve it. For the Enter and Cancel, could you post which dialogs we could add it first? In Edit/Add Connection dialogs, use F5 to save. We have disabled the Enter for those dialogs because of the memo edit used in the description.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hmm, what about making Enter accept the dialog only if focus isn't inside any memo edit fields? I'm not familiar with the DevExpress controls, but this is in fact the default behaviour of the native WPF controls, e.g. if you have a dialog with a Button with IsDefault = true, and a TextBox with AcceptsReturn = true, the TextBox takes priority over the Button if it has focus.

Clock2 mths

That's use to be the case but we had a lot of complaint from our users. They were pressing Closing the dialog by mistakes. I could give it back a try as an option.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hmm, that's unfortunate. I use keyboard interaction very heavily myself, and so for me it's a significant usability issue that I can't close the dialog with Enter or Escape. If there is such a divide in the users, some who use the keyboard a lot and some for whom Enter closing a dialog is actually a serious impediment, maybe it warrants a configuration option to enable/disable Enter and Escape to interact with dialogs?

Clock2 mths