Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

what is the "break" keyboard shortcut?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

How do I issue the 'break' command inside SSH sessions when working on Cisco devices?
Is there a default in RDM? I'm using ssh connection type

Is there a reason I can't also click on the tab for the connection and go to 'special commands'? Why isn't "break" one of the special commands?

Clock22 days

Hello,

The question might be strange but a break is not only doing a CTRL+C? If not, could you explain in which context the break feature is used?

This will help us understand the use case and I will be able to open a feature request.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on October 14th 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock20 days

Hi David,

It's not a CTRL-C.

See my unresolved post here;
https://forum.devolutions.net/messages.aspx?TopicID=31661

Break is a special command (escape key) that can be send.
Same goes for backspace for example, which with default settings works for Cisco but not for some older HP (3Com) switches, which require Ctrl-H instead of Ctrl-? (127).

See this: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/12818-61.html

I haven't tried lately, the default for Cisco I believe is Ctrl-Shft-6

The context would be;

When you give a command, that spews out something and you want to cancel (break) the task.
Like for instance a Ping command or Traceroute

Clock20 days

rolflobker is correct.
I have tried CTRL+C, CTRL+X, CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+X, CTRL+SHIFT+6, and all the other ones google says to try. Nothing works.

I need to break out of a ping or traceroute in Cisco devices and can't seem to be able to do it.

The 'special commands' area of the tab when right clicking the session tab would be a good spot for a 'break' command. In addition to actually being able to do it with a keyboard shortcut.

Clock20 days

I found a way you can bypass it in the meantime, might be something you'd want to do by default;

In the configuration for the router or switch you can change the escape sequence;

conf t
line vty 0 15
escape-character 3

That makes it so Ctrl-C can be used. (apply same to console if required)

But this deviates from the norm, and requires changes to switches that not everybody might have access to, or would like to.

https://etherealmind.com/changing-break-sequence-cisco-ios-useful-different/

You might want to set this temporarily after logging in, using the macro typing option in RDM.
(which I use for example to send 'enable' on Cisco and 'terminal-length on HP switches)

To change the escape sequence for just the active session you would use;
terminal escape-character 3

Clock20 days

First @rolflobker I apologize for the non-follow-up on your previous forum.

Thanks for the clarification both of you bring to this thread. I opened a ticket with the engineering department to add this feature request on RDM with the new SSH Engine.

As soon as I have further information I inform you.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on October 14th 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock20 days

No worries about the non-follow-up, I also didn't follow up or remind anyone wink

Clock20 days

why is it a feature request? Why do we need to wait for a new SSH engine?
My original question stands. How do you do this currently?
How does RDM send the break to the SSH session? And what RDM keyboard shortcut will make this happen.

Clock20 days

The feature seems to be currently missing... so I'd consider it a request to get this implemented properly wink

I'm sure someone someone from the engineering department will know how to handle this, and David will monitor this and make sure the SSH engine gets a proper implementation of sending special sequences, because this (ssh/telnet) is an important part of RDM that needs to work properly.

Clock19 days

You don't have to wait for the new SSH engine. It will be added to the SSH engine.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock19 days

sorry, I guess I don't understand the difference. Was the previous post implying that RDM is working on a new SSH engine?
Or that the feature request would get implemented into the existing SSH engine that RDM uses?
Or both?

Clock19 days

The feature request would get implemented into the existing SSH engine that RDM uses.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock19 days

I just started a traceroute through an SSH session to a Cisco router.
Of course I forgot to temporarily change the Break command, so I now have no way of stopping this process on the router.

I know this is already on the "bug list" - just a reminder smile

Clock11 days

This is my next task. I am currently closing my previous one and will work on this bug today, I don't know exactly how long it will take me to correct this, I'm guessing this should be done by the end of the week. Hope your unstopped process won't get tired util then wink

Regards

Denis Vincent

signaturesignature

Clock11 days

any updates? think this will make it into a beta?

Clock3 days

It's implemented and this will be soon available.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 days

Great!

Just yesterday, I was logged into some Cisco routers using RDM and had to kill my sessions because I couldn't break the process.

Looking forward to this!

Clock3 days

VERSION 2019.2.9.0 (October 10th 2019) Beta

•Added "send break" command for SSH shell entry

I tried this out immediately. Does not seem to work unfortunately.

Also; what would be the keyboard shortcut associated and how would we potentially change what the Break command is?

Clock2 days

Hi,

Are you using the legacy terminal? Because the "send break" has not been implemented for it. But I think I did not understand your request correctly. Right now the "send break" sends an SSH break request, like what is done in the "special commands" menu of Putty. I thought you were referring to that, but it looks like its not the case. Do you have an example of a working break command in another terminal? Preferable Putty or OpenSSH. Or maybe you know the byte sequence sent on the wire?

As for using a keyboard shortcut, it is not possible right now, but I'm adding it to the feature request list. In fact, we are planning on a fully user customizable key shortcut table that could be used for that.

Regards!

Denis Vincent

signaturesignature

Clock2 days