Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

ssh sessions and username/password options

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I have a couple of questions regarding session entries.

1) Is it possible to create an SSH session without a username and/or password provided? I'm looking to setup the RDM equivalent to: ssh hostname, not ssh user@hostname. If I leave username and password blank, it doesn't work. It's seems to be trying to pass $null values as user and password values.

2) Is it possible to create an SSH session that works with a Yubikey? I have a Yubikey that uses a passphrase + yubikey output. I would like to know how to have RDM specify the user and the passphrase, then wait for me to hit my Yubikey (which will append my generated code and a Carriage Return).

Clock25 days

Hi Tom,

1) The simpler answer is no, the username is required for the connection. Can you describe to me your user case? What is it you are trying to accomplish?

If you want to open the session with custom credentials, you can use the Right Click -> Open with Parameters -> Open (Select Credentials)... -> Custom to fill custom credentials when launching an entry.

If it is because you have multiple user using the same data source, you can also make them edit there user specific settings to override the credentials of the session. The user specific settings can be changed through the Right Click -> Edit -> User Specific Settings option. There will be an Override Credentials check box.

2) Most likely, though admittedly we did not test this specific case. Our test were mainly with Google Auth. I can't think of a reason why it would not work though.

For it to work, you'd need to set the SSH Shell -> Advanced -> "Interactive authentication in terminal option" to True. After enabling this option, if you still want the password autofill to work, you'd have to set the SSH Shell -> Terminal -> "Password prompt string" to the expected Password label (often something like "Password:").

Please, tell me if you need more help.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock24 days

For #1, I basically want to leave the username and password empty and just enter my credentials at the remote shell. That isn't possible now?
I don's specify a user/pass for any of my RDP sessions and they work just fine. I also don't recall having this issue on the Windows version of RDM. Sometime I want to login using my account, and sometimes I want to login using the administrator/root account.

For #2 I would like to specify my username and the static portion of my password then have it wait at the remote prompt for me to send the code from my yubikey.

Clock24 days

Hi Tom,

1) No, at this moment this is not possible. I can make it so that if you leave the username field empty, you will be prompted for it in a dialog window. Would this be alright with you?

2) As explained in my previous post, I believe it should work. Though, the username field must be filled. Have you tried to follow the instructions I've laid out?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock21 days

1) That might be an acceptable alternative. Another might be to allow RDM to use a local terminal for SSH in the way that the Windows version allowed you to use Putty. Would that allow for the entering of your credentials in the remote shell, as opposed to using dialog boxes from RDM?

2) I couldn't get this to work properly. Perhaps I am doing it incorrectly. Would you happen to have an KB article that shows an example of this sort of thing?

Clock20 days

Hi Tom,

1) With how the SSH Terminal is done at the moment, this would still requires us to implement the user authentication part. The SSH Terminal component is only an SSH terminal, it has no local mode.

2) Well, as I mentioned, we did not test on a server with Yubikey auth. What is the behavior your are observing?

I can show you how I'm setup on my side. Firstly, because of point 1) the username is required. So is the password if "Always ask password" isn't checked:

General

Secondly, we need the "Password prompt string" to do the autofill. This is the label that would be shown when come the time to authenticate using the standard method through the Terminal app:

Terminal

Thirdly, and most importantly, "Interactive authentication in terminal" must be set to True. This is what allows the 2FA authentication to appear in the terminal:

Advanced

Finally, when I launch my session, I get the 2FA prompt as such:

VerificationCode

Entering my Google Auth key then connect me properly. I'd expect something similar for Yubikeys.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

General.png
Terminal.png
Advanced.png
VerificationCode.png
Clock20 days