Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Bug Report

SSH Shell session hangs after logout

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

[RDM 2019.1.41.0 64-bit]

After disconnecting from a SSH session to a Windows SSH server via Ctrl-D or "exit" the session hangs and the session tab does not close. Task manager on the server shows that the cmd process exits but two sshd and one conhost processes remain. After closing the session tab with the mouse, these remaining processes exit, too.

The SSH server is native Microsoft OpenSSH on Windows server 2019. When activating "use old terminal" in RDM's settings, the issue does not occur.

Thorsten

Clock2 mths

Hello,

CTRL+D sends a logout command to the server. Could you try by typing logout if the issue also occurs?

If so for the troubleshooting, go in the Properties of your SSH Shell entry under the "Advanced" tab (1) and check the following options:

1. Check "Verbose"
2. Check "Enable Logging"
3. Use the ellipsis to select a path to create your log
4. Make sure that your "Log Mode" is set to "Event"

Once this configuration has been made, reproduce the issue and send us the log which will be created.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

David,

I'm connecting to a Windows server and the shell is cmd. There is no "logout" command. And even on Linux servers the logout command does not work: "bash: logout: not login shell: use `exit'". Anyway: as I wrote, I typed "exit" which does perform a "close". The effect is the same as "Ctrl-D".

I'm attaching two log files, SSH.log which exhibits the issue (close but no disconnect) and SSH-legacy.log which does not exhibit the issue.

Regards, Thorsten

SSH.log
SSH-legacy.log
Clock2 mths

Thanks for the logs, I open a ticket with the engineering department to investigate the issue.

Regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

New Information: the problem starts with Windows SSHD 7.9. The changelog says the following changes occurred from 7.7.2:

"Workaround for PTY regressions
Changes from #353 enabled closing of previously duplicated Console handles - this is causing TTY rendering issues in ssh.exe.
Added a workaround for now to skip closing Console handles."

So from this it looks like the issues is partially caused by a change on the server side and partially because of the new terminal SSH emulation (because the problem does not occur with the old, legacy terminal option.

I'm attaching a log from the last working Windows SSHD (7.7.2) with the new terminal emulation.

SSH-7.7.log
Clock2 mths

Thanks for the information, it will be useful to reproduce the issue and to understand what we can do to fix the issue.

I added the information on the ticket.

Regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

In the next beta version of RDM 2019.2.12.0 we have implemented a potential fixe. We do not have the proper infrastructure to test. So if you could test it when the version will be released and tell us if it's fixed?

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock18 days

David,

unfortunately the issue hasn't changed.

Regards, Thorsten

Clock14 days

Hi,

Have you downloaded RDM 2019.2.11.0? RDM free 2019.2.12.0 has been released for couple of hours yesterday. That said, we had to perform a rollback on it. Could you try 2019.2.13.0 which should be released shortly.

Regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock13 days