I'm a bit stumped. I can't connect to SQL, but can't find the cause.
Let me try to explain:
I have a home and work networks, connected with Site-to-Site tunnel.
Home is simple workgroup, work is domain.
There are two devices, my work-laptop (domain-joined), and my home computer (workgroup).
There is a RDM SQL database at work, and I have the same version of the RDM connecting from both laptop and my home computer to the SQL instance at work.
Work laptop is using windows login (AD), and my home computer is using SA (since it's not domain joined).
They are both on the same network at home, one is connected to WLAN, other to LAN, shouldn't really matter though.
If I try to use SA on my work-laptop, it connects. If I try to connect to SQL with SA from my home computer, it fails.
I have Sophos firewalls on both sides, and I can't find anything blocking the connection, at least not in the firewall. The firewall logs aren't showing anything.
The best thing: it used to work, and I think it stopped only recently, but I can't really pinpoint the exact day, because I don't work on home computer regularly.
But it *might* have something to do with the move of the database from one instance to another. The instance version stayed the same (2017), but the instance name and server changed. I did the migration with the Microsoft tool "Data Migration Assistant". Of course, I changed the settings in the program too.
However, the work-laptop, also when connected at home (site-to-site) proves that the SQL connection is working.
I also turned off the windows firewall at home, as a precaution.
Net Pipe and TCP are enabled. Mixed Mode authentication on the SQL instance is enabled.
Also, I can ping the server, and nslookup is looking good.
So, I'm a little at a loss where to search for further errors. Can SQL 2017 instance have some security settings not allowing connections from workgroup joined computers? Can you think of any other causes?
Anmerkung 2019-09-03 104304.jpg
You have done everything that I would have suggested. Other than maybe trying to connect using SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio). Your other best bet might be stackoverflow or other site.
Thanks for the reply. Here is the craziest thing:
There are two instances on that server, one 2017 and one 2012 instance.
RDM is on the 2017 instance.
I am having some problems with other software and the 2012 instance. So I decided to reinstall it. The other software we use basically only created the DB, but didn't want to connect to it. Very weird.
After I uninstalled the instance (which only had SQLEngine btw), suddently RDM connected from my home computer.
Really really weird!
After I reinstalled the 2012 instance, RDM is still working...
Very odd indeed, I'm glad you got it working.