Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Allow credential access from shortcuts

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

All:

I have many clients - and I will work on projects for those clients from time to time, sometimes months or even years between projects for a specific client.

I have a folder set aside for my "current" projects and place shortcuts to the sessions in that folder as those projects kick off and then remove the shortcuts as those projects close. Credentials are not available to those shortcuts. It would be great if they could be, so that I can log in to those sessions from the shortcut and have access to the Credentials when I have need to use them in the session.

Thank you for your consideration!

Matt Broadfield

Clock4 mths

Hello,

Thank you for your feature request.
I had a discussion with our engineering department, and unfortunately, it is not possible to edit shortcuts independently of the original entry.
Since the shortcut in only a "link" to another entry, editing its credentials will also edit the credentials of the original entry.

As a workaround, since the shortcut is place in another folder, it is possible to set the credentials on the folder containing the shortcut.
ShortcutEntries

CredentialsInFolder

Then set the Credendials option of the entry to Inherited.
InheritedCredentials

That way, credentials will be retrieved from the shortcut's respective parent folder.

Best regards,

Jean-Philippe Charest

signaturesignature

ShortcutEntries.png
CredentialsInFolder.png
InheritedCredentials.png
Clock4 mths

Jean-Phillippe,

Thanks for the reply.

To be clear - I do not want to edit the credentials. I want the credentials associated with the Shortcut Target to be available to me when I use the shortcut, so this may be the missing piece I need.

I'll give it a shot and see if that will work for me.

Matt Broadfield

Clock4 mths

Jean-Phillippe.

What I would like is a single folder to host multiple shortcuts, each shortcut inheriting the credentials associated with each respective target.

In other words, I have a session called "Session 1" that is in a folder named "Client A" and has a unique credential set which is assigned at the "Client A" folder level. "Session 1" is configured to inherit the credentials from its parent folder "Client A". I have a second session called "Session 2" that is in a folder named "Client B" and has a unique credential set which is assigned at the "Client B" folder level. "Session 2" is configured to inherit the credentials from its parent folder "Client B".

I would like to create a new folder and call it "Current Projects" and I would like to create a shortcut to "Session 1" which continues to inherit its credentials from the "Client A" folder - not from the "Current Projects" folder. I would then create a shortcut to "Session 2"and place it in the "Current Projects" folder as well, but it would continue to inherit its credentials from the "Client B" folder.

In this way, I would be able to copy shortcuts to my current projects into a folder that would sit at the top of my Tree, each of them inheriting their original credentials.

I hope that explains my request a bit better.

If this is not possible, I can continue to find my desired sessions in their current locations!

Thanks,

Matt Broadfield

Clock4 mths

Hello,

Unfortunately, a shortcut cannot inherit the credentials from the original entry's folder.

As a workaround, you could have a credential entry in the same folder as the original session, then link the credential entry to the session with the credentials repository.
EntriesWithShortcuts
CredentialRepository

This way, the shortcut will keep the original credentials instead of having them inherited from its current location.

It is the only way I can think of to keep the original credentials for a shortcut.

Best regards,

Jean-Philippe Charest

signaturesignature

EntriesWithShortcuts.png
CredentialRepository.png
Clock4 mths

Interesting.

So if the Credential Repository entry is in the same folder as the Original Session, the new shortcut will be able to access the credentials?

That would work.

Thank you!

Matt Broadfield

Clock4 mths

The credential entry can be stored anywhere in the same vault. The credential repository is simply a list of all the available credential entries stored in the vault.

I'm glad if this solution helps you!

Best regards,

Jean-Philippe Charest

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths