Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Tools menu - add way to launch connection clients

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

On the Tools menu (or maybe another main menu) can we have a way to launch the various connection clients (eg VNC, PC Anywhere, Teamviewer) without any session definition? Sometimes we just want to launch and type in the host name manually and this would be a quick way.
It would be good to have the availability status listed next to them.

Also, perhaps on this menu we could add custom menu items to launch a support utility not listed. For example I might have an MMC console I want to include or a special monitoring program.

Clock10 yrs

hi trichromic

you can add a template (File | Templates...) and configure the needed connections (RDP, VNC and Website are already predefined) .. activate "include "Quick Connect" Menu" at 'File | Options... | Trayicon' ...
to use the connection types right-click the systray-icon and click on "Quick Connect..." ... or in the RDM-window on the very top next to "Help"
to switch between the connection types click the button left to "Connect"

i just tried this using the SQL Addon .. though when creating the template i was forced to enter a server .. quick connect correctly overwrites the server ...

KR
plague

http://www.gpunktschmitz.com

Clock10 yrs

Hi plague,
I will fix the bug with the SQL Server AddOn, it won't be required anymore in template mode.

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

Thanks for that information. It certainly wasn't obvious I could do that.

However it doesn't quite work as expected. I configured a PC Anywhere template and that didn't work. It just said "error opening -.chf". I wanted it just to launch the PCAnywhere EXE but that doesn't accept hostname parameters. It needs a CHF definition file.

Also the "connect" button is always greyed out (actually so is "All Sessions" and "Opened Sessions")

Clock10 yrs

Hi,
the PC Anywhere command line options are very limited and the chf file is required. The field is now required in the UI (next update). Can you send me a print screen of the greyed out button ?

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

Hi David,

Here's a screenshot attached. You'll see the buttons have the appearence of being greyed-out although they are enabled, which I find confusing.

Regarding PC Anywhere, I wonder if there's a way to generate the CHF file 'on-the-fly' as the session is started and then launch the application using that CHF? This would give a lot more flexibility from RDM and would allow the complete session definition to be held in a data source.

Regards,
Alex Bailey
Trichromic

rdm.gif
Clock10 yrs

Hi,
I added a bug for the grayed out button, you're right it's confusing. For the chf, it's a binary format and I don't have the specification to generate it on the fly.

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Thanks David.

Shame about the CHF. Typical of Symantec though, making things more complicated than necessary. I've always thought it a bit of a strange approach thay use.

One comment about my experience of RDM - I can't quite put my finger on it just yet so appologies for the lack of info but I believe my PC is experiencing delays and instability when RDM is open. Other applications (eg Outlook) are sometimes locking up and WinXP has difficulty logging out/shutting down if RDM is still open. It may be nothing to do with RDM. I'll try to monitor and let you know more.

Alex.

Clock9 yrs