Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Support for GCP (Google) Cloud IAP authentication?

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Have you plans for supporting Google Cloud Plattform Cloud IAP (Identity Aware Proxy) authentication and connection method?

Would be nice to have it in Remote Desktop Connection Manager.

Clock3 mths

Hello,
What do we need to do in RDM to support it? Is it a web site?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

IAP Docs: https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs/
TCP forwarding is what I think must be integrated: https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs/tcp-forwarding-overview
API section: https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs/using-tcp-forwarding

Not exactly sure how to best integrate but I can do like this by using GCP SDK tools:

First setup a tunnel:

gcloud --project=<PROJECTNAME> beta compute start-iap-tunnel <VM NAME> 3389 --zone=<ZONE, eg: europe-north1-b> --local-host-port=localhost:13389

Then use:
mstsc → localhost:13389

Could be that I can create this today but I then need to manage what port I do use locally and getting a lot of VM's it can be difficult to have a structure of local port numbers.

Thanks and let me know if you need more information. Or let me know if I can do this easily today since integration can be much harder.

Cheers
Michael

Clock4 mths

Hello,
You could try to create a custom VPN and invoke the command line. This could be a good starting point for us if it works.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi

That is working, not optimal.
Opens a window with:

Testing if tunnel connection works.
Listening on port [13389].

(gcloud output)

Connection works fine

Problem is that this window requires CTRL+C to exit so it have to be done manually

Have not tested this plugin for MS RDCM:
https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/iap-windows-rdc-plugin

BR
Michael

Clock4 mths

Thank you for the test. Could you try the disconnect to use taskkill?

https://tweaks.com/windows/39559/kill-processes-from-command-prompt/

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Will try to test soon, will let you know how it goes

Clock3 mths

Sorry for very slow followup!

Yes it is possible to kill but from what I can tell it starts a phyton.exe but I'm not exactly sure how to implement it in VPN/SSH/Gateway setup

Clock2 mths

@michael40,

How is your session + VPN is setup for now? Could you post some screenshots?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Excuse me if I'm totally wrong

2019-10-10 07_08_23-Window.png
Clock2 mths

Hello,

Is the screenshot that you've sent us is from a Custom VPN Entry that you have created?

If yes, inside your remote session, click on VPN/SSH/Gateway on your left. Then, in the General tab, you will select Connect if unable to ping in the Open dropdown and Session in the Type dropdown. After, go in the Settings tab and select your custom vpn entry.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi,

This is on the remote session, not custom VPN. Since I need to enter host and project information I have not created a common VPN entry.

The problem is also that I have one executable for setting this up but there is really no closing argument to that application.
Kill the window and it stops the connection. To manage different connections ports from localhost could also be an issue that is hard to solve? 20 RDP sessions and they all need different local port...

Thank you for your support so far

Br
Michael

Clock2 mths

Hello,

You last post confused me a little bit. As of now, I don't understand what's the issue anymore. Is it that you are not able to launch the VPN? Or close it?
Maybe a small video could help.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi

Launching is OK, but I cannot close it with a command.

Starting the "VPN" gives this:

Testing if tunnel connection works.
Listening on port [13389].

Then RDM connects to local port 13389 (as I specified in the setting - this number need to be random/different for each connection, if not it will fail when reusing the port number)

This window is present for ever, terminating the remote session wil try to start the termination command, but it should simply just kill the window it started at first. Pressing CTRL+C in the window give you:

Server shutdown complete.
Terminate batch job (Y/N)?

Not sure if I need to make a video but if you have a GCP account (trial USD 300) then it is simple to test yourself

Best regards
Michael

Clock29 days

Hello,

We don't use this type of VPN internally, this is why I asked for a video so that we can have a look at it with our engineering department and see if it's possible to close it as you request or not.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock29 days

Sure, where can I upload the video so it is not available to everyone on the internet.
Does not contain classified information but prefer not to post it on public forum anyway

Clock28 days

Hi Michael,

you can upload the video through this link: https://devolutions.sharefile.com/filedrop

Regards,
Min

Clock28 days

Done

2019-10-23 at 08-48-55.mp4

Clock28 days

Hello,

Thank you for the video,

I opened a ticket to our engineering department to see if something can be done regarding this.
The ticket number is RDMW-3869.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock28 days

Hello,

I had a chat with our engineering department and we may have a solution regarding your closing issue.

Now, I have a quick question for you: If you close the executable of the VPN, this will close the connection right? If yes, this may help finding a solution regarding your scenario.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock27 days

Yes. Closing the window/connection stops the tunnel to GCP/VM

Clock27 days

Hello,

The option to kill the task instead of sending arguments has been added to the custom VPN settings. It will be available as soon as the beta version 2019.2.12.0 is released.

Regards

Jonathan Del Signore
signaturesignature

Clock21 days