Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Import Data from Password Safe 7

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello dear support team,

We are currently evaluating and testing the options to migrate data from our password safe 7 to a devolutions password server.

Password Safe 7 can only export in a unencrypted CSV or it's own PSX/PBB format. For our needs the CSV variant would be prefered. Is there any way to import the data from a CSV?

Best wishes,

Niklas Heine

Clock3 mths

Hello,

Sure RDM support CSV import or CSV Synchronizer. For CSV import you could adjust the export from Password Safe 7 with our CSV format.

Further details at https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/importsessioncsvwizard.htm

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello,

It would also be really useful to us if we could import the folders as well. Is that possible in any way?

We have a really big hierarchy with many subfolders and it would mean much work to do it all manually.

Also, I've found an option to import directly from PasswordSafe CSV (screenshot), but it does't seem to work properly, it didn't import all the fields.

The form of the csv we get from password safe is as follows:

"Ordner (Kategorie)""Name""UserName""Password""URL""Email""Custom Fields"

I hope you can help me soon.

best wishes,

Niklas Heine

Clock3 mths

Edit:
Email adresses and URLs do not work either.

with the import login csv wizard the sheme for the csv needed to be altered to:
Ordner (Kategorie),Name,UserName,Password,URL,Email,Custom Fields

Also, the sheme above should be with semicolons between fields

Clock3 mths

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this, I opened a ticket with the engineering department.

Regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

For imformation, I moved the thread in Remote Desktop Manager forum to open a ticket with the proper team.

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello,

We are currently investigating the issue; however, with a template of CSV file, it will be easier to see the changes.

Could you provide us an example of the CSV export by Password Safe 7?

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello,

I've compiled a test CSV file for you in the style that Password Safe 7 puts out and that has some fields in it that cause problems while importing.

Doubleqoutes seem to cause problems too when importing.
The first entry should work fine
The second entry has a doublequote at the end of a password, thus making the rest of the dokument part of the password as well.

I hope this helps to reproduce the problems.

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock3 mths

Hello,

Is there a way to get a copy of this CSV template.

Please use the secure link below to send us the requested file(s);
https://devolutions.sharefile.com/filedrop

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Yes, I've uploaded the file that i have used

Best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Thanks, I transferred it to the engineering department.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello again,

Since I need to finish my bachelor thesis soon and the evaluation of the Devolutions Password Server is a part it, I need to set a deadline. That deadline is Thursday the 12th of september. If this problem is not fixed until then, I will need to document it as a major bug in terms of migration. That means, that the Product has a pretty low chance of being chosen as a follow-up product to our current system.

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Hello,

We're currently taking a look at the issue, the sample you provided is very useful. I think we should be able to provide a build with the fixes before September 12th. I'll let you know once we have more information.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

That is great to hear. I hope to hear from you soon.

best wishes,
Niklas

Clock2 mths

Hello,

We're planning to release a new beta update later today (RDM 2019.2.5.0), which will contain changes to the Mateso Password Safe CSV import.
Using your test sample, it now imports properly in RDM. We've also improved it so it imports the group structure.

As a note, the email currently is only imported if the username is empty, since there is no entry in RDM where there is both a field for a username and an email. The URL is only imported when you choose to import as a "login" type entry since the "username/password" entry doesn't have a URL field.

Please let us know if everything works for you once you're able to test.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

I haven't yet tested the beta, but would it be possible to import the E-Mail into the domain field of a login (account) entry?

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Hello,

What would you like to achieve by importing both a username and email within the same entry? Is it just for storing the information and not to use it within RDM itself? If so, I think a different field than domain would be more appropriate.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

It would be for information storage only and won't be used, unless there is no username. But most of the time the username field is not empty.

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Hello,

I've tested the improved import feature and it works great. Thank you for fixing it.

Best wishes,

Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Hello,

After another round of testing, I found out that the custom fields are not imported as well, would it be possible to import them into the description field?

best wishes,

Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Hello,

No problem, we can add that. Do you have an example with custom fields? And is it possible to put more than one "custom fields" for a single Mateso entry? If so it would be helpful if the example showed this, as it could change how the implementation works.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

yes it would be possible, I uploaded a version with the custom fields.
Also I just realized, the doublequotes in the middle of the password doesnt work yet.

I believe there are multiple fields for custom fields, but I can't be certain, because the passwordsafe 7 is impossible to navigate trough and look for the custom fields. They are usually located after the 6 first columns. If there are custom fields they are the fields that go beyond the csv pattern.

best wishes,

Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the information and for the example, we'll work on it this week. I don't know when we will have a beta with these changes but I'll be sure to let you know.

As for the email address, do you think it would be appropriate to also import it in the Description (as the first line) when there is already a username, or would you prefer it in a different field of the entry?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

for us, there is actually no prefered way to import the email address, but I think the description would be the better way in general.

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Hello,

I've made those changes internally. They'll be available in beta 2019.2.7.0.

Also, to go back on your point about the passwords not importing correctly, what I'm noticing is that the very first CSV you gave us is differently formatted compared to the other two you've sent. In the very first one, every value was between quotes, but in the other two, only certain values are.
Is there multiple ways to export to a CSV in Mateso Password Safe? We would need to take this into consideration in the code, which at the moment it doesn't do.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Yes, there are multiple ways to export. You can choose the type of characters that are used for the csv, but the standard export is without the quotes. Those changes were due to opening it in Excel. This changed those values up. Afterwards I've only edited with a texteditor.

Best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Do you think it would be useful to support the mode with the quotes as well? The only danger is that if your real password begins AND starts with a quote, RDM would trim it. There is no other way to support both modes at once. If you're telling me only the mode without the quotes is important, then we should be able to do this without problem.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

I think, it would be better not to support quotes for encapsulating the values, due to the nature of random passwords, that could have quotes in it. On the other hand, it would be easier to recognize a pattern, if there were double quotes around values, separated by a comma. The export of the PasswordSafe 7 can be configured for different types of characters, you just need to pick the right ones.

Could you make it work to recognize the pattern and not read lines character by character?

best wishes,
Niklas Heine

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Unfortunately I don't think it would be possible for RDM to know by itself the format of the CSV.
Most CSV imports we currently support only have one format, which makes it easier for users to have it import properly the first time, and for us to integrate. For that reason, we'll support the "default" CSV export of Mateso Password Safe, which is without quotes, and separated by semi-colons.

Yesterday we released RDM 2019.2.6.0 in beta, which supports the import of the email and the custom fields in the description, as well as fixing some of the issues with the quote characters. I'll make some changes for 2019.2.7.0 to not trim the quotes, as you're saying it's the default format for the CSV.

Please let us know if you encounter any issue with the feature after these changes.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths