Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Migrate RDM to new SQL Server

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

Our data source is hosted on SQL 2008 server. We need to move it to a server running W2K12 R2 and SQL 2014.

What is the best way to perform DB move?

thank you
Marcel

Clock11 days

I would simply try the following procedure:

• Backup your database on the old SQL server
  • note or export your SQL logins
  • Restore the database on the new SQL server, it will be autoupgraded to the newest SQL version
  • import or recreate your SQL Logins
  • on the Devolutions RDM instances, update the datasource information to point to the new SQL server
you can go back to the original on SQL 2008 if you encounter problems, if all is well, decommission the old one.
regards, Ben

Clock11 days

Hello,

Thanks @Ben05, it sums it up pretty well.

Make sure that when you backup the database you select the "Copy-only backup" option.
I would also create the logins before restoring the database, I believe that users will be linked to logins automatically.

This will work well assuming you're using database accounts. Also, if those database account are linked to a domain, it's important your new SQL-S is on that same domain.

If you plan to change the way users are logging into the data source, make sure they all export their private vault entries, and their user specific settings.

Let us know if you encounter issues

Best regards,

Alex Belisle
OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on September 2nd 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock10 days

@Beno05, @Alexandre Belisle

thank you! it worked like a charm.

Clock9 days

Hello,

You're very welcome, thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,

Alex Belisle
OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on September 2nd 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock9 days